Motocross helmets vs. "standard" helmet

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
when the sun is at a certain angle you get to see half your face on the inside of those mirrored visors. it used to scare the crap outta me as i thought there was some ugly dude in my helmut. once i realized it was just me i was horrified. i no longer wear a mirrored visor.
Thanks for the warning! I tried to find reviews about the mirrored visors, but I couldn't find too much.

What time of day did you notice the ugly dude?

Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

outside of early morning or late afternoon it would happen anytime. i guess it was more the angle of my fat head than the actual sun. all i had to do was lean my head down a bit to get it to stop. i eventually went back to wearing the clear visor with sunglasses because i found it too distracting at times. i'm not saying it will be that way with all tinted visors i'm just saying it happened with mine.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I hated the MX Helmet...Thought what a waste of $...

I bought one.....Be a long time b4 I put a normal full face on.....If it rains they suck...TuffItUp....

If your the type to let your head hit 1st during a fall...Keep the full face...Its not all controllable...But...Almost everything is preventable...Two of my buddies crashed bikes lately...One was too hard of a corner in a parking lot during a turn in the rain...The other hit a painted stripe in a turn in the rain....Ummm dont put yourself in that spot and youll be OK in MX....

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member

i use my road helmet for road work, mx helmet and goggles for off road. I have used my road helmet off road it just doesnt work, on road the mx helemt sux.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Yea I picked up a motocross helmet (free with the bike) and it really is the only helmet I wear. Same thing with the wife and her bike. I also bought the Scorpion EXO-400 for me and one for the wife. Her helmet is blue and white to match the XT 225 and mine is the matte black, I have only wore it once. I feel out of place with it on the KLX. To me its as funny looking as a Harley guy wearing a motocross helmet. (or a gold wing or any cruiser) I like Harleys by the way so let's not go there. LOL
It's not THAT funny looking! I'll get a pic up here soon enough! If I wear camouflage pants will it balance things out?

"My Mom says I'm cool!"

Old 08-06-2008, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
i use my road helmet for road work, mx helmet and goggles for off road. I have used my road helmet off road it just doesnt work, on road the mx helemt sux.
This goes back to my original question. What about the road helmet doesn't work off-road. Don't say sun visor because my sunglasses have been working fine.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

MX helmets work just fine on road without the standard long visor. When I first got my KLX I rode on the street with the full visor like an idiot. That didn't last long. It's hard to control the bike with your head acting as wind resistance.

Mike

Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Nothing wrong with a full face..

Cmon peeps...A tad over kill but ok.....Not the greatest unless going 55mph or they fog up...So back woods swamp and mud holes could have some fogging issues....Line of sight is also a tad off in the woods with a full face........

I now where my MX everywhere but when I get nailed with a bug or heavy rain I wish I had my full face..Actually last night it was rainin so bad I almost drowned and chocked on the water with the MX.....

Old 08-07-2008, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

i wear my mx all the time, just old habbits...great off road (obviously) but with the long visor it does make
50mph or higher MUCH more tiring over time, on the road...rode 3 hours on road last night,
ave. speed about 55-65, in the rain, and the goggles help, but it still makes
your head feel big and heavy and in the way...more so than normal...
but for now i'm stickin with the mx...but i do like the looks of that simpson.
hmmm.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ifact
i wear my mx all the time, just old habbits...great off road (obviously) but with the long visor it does make
50mph or higher MUCH more tiring over time, on the road...rode 3 hours on road last night,
ave. speed about 55-65, in the rain, and the goggles help, but it still makes
your head feel big and heavy and in the way...more so than normal...
but for now i'm stickin with the mx...but i do like the looks of that simpson.
hmmm.
Yeah that flat black is stealthy. I guess half the reason I'm turned off by the motocross stuff is that it's all so....loud. Patterns and colors...it's too much. I was going to get a flat black exo-400, but I decided to go with the more visible glossy "stormtrooper" white.

Quick Reply: Motocross helmets vs. "standard" helmet