Moto Pro Fork Spring & *Valve* Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Moto Pro Fork Spring & *Valve* Install

ORIGINAL: mooredan

There's been a few writeups posted here for fork spring installs, but this one is different. This one has details on doing the revalving work too.

http://klx250s.suncup.net/MotoPro/index.htm

Next on the agenda, rear shock spring and revalve...
Thanks, Mooredan, A wonderful and thoughtful contribution to this excellent forum. This forum, and all of its' numerous contributors, make true added value to owning the KLX250s. That is one of the reasons that I truly enjoy my KLX250s ownership.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 PM

Dan: That's one excellent write-up. We really appreciate the time and trouble you went to todo the work andput it on this site. The photo's are also excellent. Many, many, many thanks for a job well done.

Bob

Old 01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great write-up, Dan - well done and easy to follow! Now we need a ride report.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks to all for their kind comments and you're welcome!

Started the rear shock tonight, got it removed and disassembled -- it's pretty straight forward. Need to read the valve install instructions over again (I'll post them on my web site) and expect to have it reassembled tomorrow. Then I'll need to take it to my local bike shop for a nitrogen charge.

Hope to get to the track early next week, there appears to be a warming trend coming (relatively speaking).

Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Okay, I've been trying to find springs and just when I tought I did, I get an e-mail stating "what part number are you using?" because "we don't list the klx250"...so I askARE THE KLX300 SPRINGS THE SAME AS THE KLX250S? Please tell me they are the same, I am just about to ordera set of .44kg/mm springs for a 2006 KLX300.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice write up MD....lookin forward to the field testing report.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

Okay, I've been trying to find springs and just when I tought I did, I get an e-mail stating "what part number are you using?" because "we don't list the klx250"...so I askARE THE KLX300 SPRINGS THE SAME AS THE KLX250S? Please tell me they are the same, I am just about to ordera set of .44kg/mm springs for a 2006 KLX300.
The KLX300 springs are different from the ones for the KLX250S, I believe that the KLX300 springs are a bit shorter and might need a spacer if installed on the KLX250S.

AFAIK, the only place to get aftermarket alternative springs is from Moto Pro.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Race Tech might, I'm not sure. The have a page for the 2008 KLX250s, which I assume means the '06 and '07 KLX since the '09's aren't even out yet. Anyway, here's the link: http://www.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english

They list springs and even have a spring-rate calculator, but you have to call them to get pricing.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Finished the install of the rear shock valve and spring and set the sag. ...I haven't posted a write up yet. The rear install was a lot messier (oil wise) than the fork install.

Got a ride in this past weekend and my, what a difference! Gone is the diving during braking giving much more control in those downhill, braking in the corner, situations.

Also gone is the rear end kick up that I had before. The ride is plush and appropriately stiff. Didn't do any big jumps, but off small jumps, landings were smooth and controlled, didn't bottom out.

Small divots and bumps just get absorbed and weren't transfered to the rider -- almost Cadillac like.

I'm very pleased with this upgrade and feel its well worth the money.

Looking back, I should have gone with vfrpilot's route on upgrades. He did the suspension first and then went for power. That's discipline many of us don't have, including me obviously.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mooredan

I'm very please with this upgrade and feel its well worth the money.

Looking back, I should have gone with vfrpilot's route on upgrades. He did the suspension first and then went for power. That's discipline many of us don't have, including me obviously.
That's one of the kindest things anyone has ever said about me. Almost brings a tear to my eye. Now if only my wife thought the same.