Motion Pro Armor Rim Strip Tape

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Motion Pro Armor Rim Strip Tape

Anyone use this stuff? It seems to be a good idea, any opinions?

Motion Pro - Motion Pro Armor Rim Strip Tape for 18 to 19 Inch Wheels

Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Opinion... two words:

A lifetime of rimstrip on a roll! Wrap a strip of the proper width around the rim over the spokes, cut out the air stem and rim lock holes, and you're good to go. Unless, of course, you want to add another buzz word brand to the signature. 3M or Duck tape just doesn't have the buzz value.

But then there are the plusses:

If you have the left over roll in the tool kit and happen to have forgotten your rain suit...

After a long day in the saddle, a beer and...

That buddy that roosted you...

Graphics...

Then there are the other uses:

A baby sitter...

That garage couch...

No comment...

At the end of a day at the beach all I can say is "Ouch"...

Old 06-12-2011, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

"Ouch" was my first thought seeing that last pic. Repost her in the HOTD thread.

As far as rim strip: fibreglass reinforced packing tape. Red Green's solution turns real ugly after a while of being in place.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, but there weren't a bunch of other cool uses for packing tape.

As for that last use... I hope some strategic waxing was done before application...

By the way, that brings up the other application for duct tape that I just now remembered... racers used to put a tab over their "boobies" too, to keep from chaffing while racing.

Try that with Motion Pro Armor Rim Strip Tape!

Last edited by klx678; 06-12-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

That stuff looks a bit like the Tubliss rim strip tape for their tubeless system. It's decently durable and so is duct tape, but I've never found anything tougher than nylon reinforced packing tape. I quit using duct tape in past years as it tended to get gummy and deteriorate in the wheel. Even this Tubliss material tended to draw down to the nipples in a dangerously thin level...too thin IMO. The Tubliss strip was otherwise still strong, showing no signs of the adhesive breaking down or getting gummy. And understand that this strip has to stand up to protecting the 110psi inner liner tube from nipple edges. I just installed some nylon packing tape over the Tubliss strip, and it's worked great. This stuff all stands up to being exposed to sealant too. I've been through 4 rear tires and 2 front tires now, with the Tubliss strip with the overlay of nylon packing tape going through 3 tires. No sign of breakdown. Nylon packing tape is amazingly strong and resilient. It comes in many sizes too. Generally I don't think rim strips are a super critical area of concern if a decent strip in good shape is used. The problem over time is that strips get little attention as to their condition. And in the case of my Tubliss setup, it's especially critical.

Attached Thumbnails Motion Pro Armor Rim Strip Tape-tubliss-rim-strip.jpg   Motion Pro Armor Rim Strip Tape-packing-tape.jpg  
Old 06-13-2011, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, but you still ain't gonna stick it on your nipple nipples now, are ya!

And just try to paste a kid to the wall, I dare ya.

Oh, and the air filter is going out tomorrow morning.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I carried a guy with a broken collar bone out today Lucky we had a quad with us. Wish we would have had any of said adhesives the above. Even the dabs off that hotd would have been useful in stabilizing his lefty. Poor feller. Hope he's okay.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FM_Thumper
Anyone use this stuff? It seems to be a good idea, any opinions?

Motion Pro - Motion Pro Armor Rim Strip Tape for 18 to 19 Inch Wheels
I've used duct tape for 20 years but recently switched to the motion pro rims strips. The rims strips are awesome, I've got them on 3 dirt bikes and have changed tires 2-3 times on all the bikes. It's holding up great.

I won't go back to duct tape.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Projected
I won't go back to duct tape.

Why?

Right now I see you had twenty years of success, otherwise you would have used something else, and now you changed? Why? What changed, what is better? Give the reasons to use it.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Why?

Right now I see you had twenty years of success, otherwise you would have used something else, and now you changed? Why? What changed, what is better? Give the reasons to use it.
Yes sir!

- Rim strips don't turn into a sticky nasty mess over time
- Rim strips don't migrate and fold over like duct tape does over time
- So far it seems I won't have to replace the rim strips as often as I replace duct tape
- I can't stand removing the sticky nasty mess that duct tape turns into

As I already stated I choose to use rim strips and like them much better than duct tape. This is my opinion based on real world use on 3 dirt bikes that are ridden many hours every year.

Have I justified my use and preference well enough for you? Would you prefer I change back to duct tape now? If you would rather use duct tape then go for it.

Quick Reply: Motion Pro Armor Rim Strip Tape