Motard mods??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:29 AM
Default Motard mods??

I was wondering what kind of wheels and tires you would need to make this a motard. Since I put the exhaust on the bike it has a hell of alot more get up and go, and this is after all that power gain with the carb mods. Still no accidental wheelies though, but it does haul ***. Anyways now its alot more fun on the street, and I wouldnt mind putting some slicks on her just to give it a go. This is something that I'm just curious about though, don't really think I'm gonna do it since its a blast off road, but just in case I wouldn't mind knowing.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Default RE: Motard mods??

incabiker,

Do you really need to change rims, or just put some more street style tires on the bike?

One of the fastest guys up at Deal's Gap is running a KTM 640 with Avon Distanza tires on it.

I've seen them on other supermotards also. Remember, the true supermotards still run a section of dirt, so true sportbike tires are not what they run.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Most will use a smaller diameter front rim and i think wider rims both ends

Old 04-22-2006, 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Marty

incabiker,

Do you really need to change rims, or just put some more street style tires on the bike?

One of the fastest guys up at Deal's Gap is running a KTM 640 with Avon Distanza tires on it.

I've seen them on other supermotards also. Remember, the true supermotards still run a section of dirt, so true sportbike tires are not what they run.

Ya your right, those tires look pretty good. I like em. I was thinking of buy diff. rims with diff tires for diff. riding purposes and exchanging them. Maybe like putting your serious off road rims on for the serious off road stuff, and then putting on the motard stuff for gravel roads and mostly street. It would save time on changing tires all the time since its already set up that way. It would also save my knobbies from the pavement when I drive to work everyday. Sounds expensive though[:@]. I will try out these new 606 tires and see how long they last.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

My buddy is buying a dr-z400sm(the KLX is to small he's 300+ lbs) because the suspention is better on the supper moto and he is putting dirt tires on it, he has to replace the rims because they are shorter and skinnyer.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 04-28-2006, 03:13 PM

Well let me ask you guys this, is the only difference between a motard and a dual sport the tires?? What other differences are there that makes a motard much diff then the dual sport. I went and looked at suzukis website and the DRZ super motard vs the dual sport one look no different other then the wheels and tires, am I correct or are there many things going on behind the scenes that I am not catching?

Old 04-28-2006, 03:33 PM

i would think the suspension on a motard would be quite a bit stiffer for hard cornering on the pavement

Old 04-28-2006, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

Well let me ask you guys this, is the only difference between a motard and a dual sport the tires?? What other differences are there that makes a motard much diff then the dual sport. I went and looked at suzukis website and the DRZ super motard vs the dual sport one look no different other then the wheels and tires, am I correct or are there many things going on behind the scenes that I am not catching?
There are a number of differences between the DRZ-S and -SM including the wheel/tires, swingarm, and suspension.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:23 PM

Ahhh, I was just looking at the pictures, was too lazy to get in there and read all the tech specs [:-]

Quick Reply: Motard mods??