Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: More Rattlesnakes!

Wait a minute.......alive?[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 02-20-2008, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: loudoo76

thats is some crazy stuff, good thing it didnt bite, but, say if it did bite you what do you do? i've seen tv shows with poisonous snakes (cobra) and they have to go to the hospital for a bite,do rattle snake bites send u to the hospital?
suck the venom out like a man!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Most species of rattlesnakes have hemotoxic venom, destroying tissue, degenerating organs and causing coagulopathy (disrupted blood clotting). Some degree of permanent scarring is very likely in the event of a venomous bite, even with prompt, effective treatment, and a severe envenomation, combined with delayed or ineffective treatment, can lead to the loss of a limb and rarely, death. Thus, a rattlesnake bite is always a potentially serious, or even fatal, injury. Untreated rattlesnake bites, especially from larger species, are very often fatal. However, antivenin, when applied in time, reduces the death rate to less than 4%. Around 8,000 people are bitten by venomous snakes in the United States each year[1]. On average, fewer than 15 snakebite deaths are reported.
Some rattlesnakes, especially the tropical species, have neurotoxic venom. A bite from these snakes can interfere with the function of the heart, paralyze the lungs, and shut down parts of the nervous system. - from Wikipedia

Aside from that I have had several friends that were bit and didn't get treatment until hours later. The venom actually breaks down your muscle tissue turning into what I call "jello". In surgery they actually scoop out the "jelloed" muscle tissue leaving a rather large hole where the snakebite originated. The muscle tissue never grows back - my friend has a large indentation in his right calf where he got bit, actually most of his calf muscle is gone now. He was in pretty bad shape for several months. If you try and suck out the venom it can actually invade your gums, tongue and cheeks and do the same amount of damage. Lots of people walking around here without gums, cheeks and tongues who saw too many movies about sucking out the poison!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Mark, did u just copy and paste that info or are you really that smart about snakes!?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Enough with the snakes! It's really freaking me out!! It seems every time we go riding there's one on a rock or in the bushes when we stop for a break.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dirt_beaver

Mark, did u just copy and paste that info or are you really that smart about snakes!?
At the end of the "fun facts" it says it's from Wikipedia. I'm bringing a flame thrower the next time we go riding Mark! And for gods sake clean your freaken garage out!!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Better you than me rider. If it was me, 98% chance I would have been bitten. First thing I do is hop on and start the KLX up. Good thing you had to pull yours out in the driveway to notice the little fellow.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep got lucky this time but next time who knows.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:30 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

Yep got lucky this time but next time who knows.
Yea that was close man, hey on an unrelated subject, can I ahve your bike if anything happens to you?[8D]

Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 AM

Good thing he didnt come out while you were riding.

Quick Reply: More Rattlesnakes!