More Orange

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
What's that 'growth' hangin' off the back of the pipe? Periscope?
The funny looking thing on the can is a "dB Snorkel", purported to take off 3 - 8 dB. I got it so my son could take the occasional spin in the back yard without the neighbors complaining. I'd say it takes the "edge" off. These bikes are pretty quiet anyway. But it tends to muffle and dampen the high pitch pinging a bit. Seems to make a much bigger difference when out on the trail than in the garage.

http://www.thedbsnorkel.com/

Old 01-30-2010, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Brian, have you figured out out what the "Langston" setting is for the power valve? I almost bought my son one last year so I did quite a bit of research on the bike but never did find out what exactly the "Langston" setting was. Does the hit come high in the rpm's or low in the rpm's?

Old 01-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'd say mid, but it's pretty mellow when it comes on. It feels very ridable to me. My son who is a brand new rider seems to be doing fine on it as well. He's got the yard all tore up, though. Ah whatever, not like I ever did much in the yard anyway. I'm always out riding when it comes time to do yard work.

But you mentioning "Langston" setting is the first I've heard of that. A little googling reveals that is adjusting the power valve so the hit comes on early in order to mellow it out? Or is it late? There seem to be a lot of old forum references saying too google "langston setting" but all that seems to find are forum references saying to google it. lol

I've seen references to change out the carb needle to a straight taper instead of the stock multi-tapered one in order to mellow out the hit as well. And then there's the fly wheel weight option. With all those ways of doing it, it seems highly tunable to just the way you might like it.

At any rate, I haven't messed with the power valve adjustment yet. I'll put that on my list to check out to see how much of an effect it has. As it is, though, I like it. It's fun and easy to ride. If you were closer, you know you'd be welcome to try it out. I'm still trying to figure out how to get one for myself without selling the 450.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:30 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

He's got the yard all tore up, though. Ah whatever, not like I ever did much in the yard anyway
The perfect excuse for no mowing.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 PM
1st Gear Member

But you mentioning "Langston" setting is the first I've heard of that. A little googling reveals that is adjusting the power valve so the hit comes on early in order to mellow it out? Or is it late? There seem to be a lot of old forum references saying too google "langston setting" but all that seems to find are forum references saying to google it. lol

That's what happened to me too. A lot of mentioning it but nothing specific.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Smooth controllable power, it's a real sweet heart. Here's my 16 y/o on it in the yard this morning after we got a rare snow here in NC:

Of course, I had to have a turn, too. I made a smiley face in the road, reflecting the one that was under my helmet.

This thing really is the ultimate little fun bike. If you're thinking about one, lcpl, you should do it - absolutely no regrets here. I was a little concerned at first due to my lack of experience with the bike, but it's really a great little machine. If I can't swing keeping the 450 and getting one in addition, I'll likely sell it in order to get one. It's that fun. It's so smooth and well behaved I can hardly believe it's a 2-stroke. I would like to try the 250 first though, just to be sure I wouldn't like it better.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Great shots NB! I say tear the yard up. I let my kids tear up our back yard, I even built them a small jump back there. It doesn't take long to fix a yard back up. Kids grow up before you know it I'll fix it up then. Roaring around the yard will be a great memory .
I like the .
Dan

Old 01-30-2010, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll pass on the 2-strokes. The lack of engine braking used to screw me up royally. I'm a 4-stroke guy now and better off for it.

Last edited by lcpl0331; 01-30-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My mistake. I thought you were still looking for your son. Funny though, I like the softer engine braking of the 2-stroke.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

you near midland? (charlotte)

Quick Reply: More Orange