More info on carb needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
Except when you have a Constant Velocity Karb (CVK).

Ride on
Brewster
???

I guess that myself and a whole lot of other people have been doing it wrong all these years. Could you please enlighten us on the proper procedure ?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
???

I guess that myself and a whole lot of other people have been doing it wrong all these years. Could you please enlighten us on the proper procedure ?
Yes, please.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Maybe it is important to also specify which DJ kit we are using. The needles are very different between the 2009+ kit and the klx300 kit. Maybe that difference changes how much fuel the main jet feeds. Just a thought.
True, The DJ kit I got is for the 300

Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by seth6025
True, The DJ kit I got is for the 300
Cool. Then I'd still try that 128.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
???
My point was that THROTTLE POSITION doesn't directly relate to slide position in a CVK carb. The slide position is controlled by the velocity of the air passing through the carb. Changing RPMs changes the volume of air going through the carb. Throttle position controls the butterfly which limits the air flow. You can have the throttle/butterfly at wide open but at low RPMs, the slide and needle will not be at max air/fuel flow. The needle is mounted on the slide and therefore is not controlled by throttle position.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey, anyone that has a KLX DJ kit..... can you tell me what it says to run for a main jet for 8000+ feet? I know the DJ numbers are different than kawi numbers so ill have to convert it.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:38 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

My point was that THROTTLE POSITION doesn't directly relate to slide position in a CVK carb. The slide position is controlled by the velocity of the air passing through the carb. Changing RPMs changes the volume of air going through the carb. Throttle position controls the butterfly which limits the air flow. You can have the throttle/butterfly at wide open but at low RPMs, the slide and needle will not be at max air/fuel flow. The needle is mounted on the slide and therefore is not controlled by throttle position.

Ride on
Brewster
Brewster, that is absolutely correctly on the technical operation of the CV carb, but don't the overall principles of jetting still apply as they relate to throttle position? Response and some other more subtle differences do of course exist between the two carb designs, but I think the basic principle of throttle position to a particular circuit in the carb...pilot, needle, main...basically still apply.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Brewster, that is absolutely correctly on the technical operation of the CV carb, but don't the overall principles of jetting still apply as they relate to throttle position? Response and some other more subtle differences do of course exist between the two carb designs, but I think the basic principle of throttle position to a particular circuit in the carb...pilot, needle, main...basically still apply.
What do you consider to be "Throttle Position"? If it is how far you have your right wrist twisted, I would say "not always". With the engine in high gear and only traveling at 20 mph, if you twist the throttle to max, the low velocity of the air past the slide will not allow the slide to move all of the way up until higher RPMs are achieved. Therefore, the carb circuit that is controlling fuel flow will be the taper of the needle, not the main jet.

The other extreme is with the engine in neutral, you don't have to have the throttle twisted all the way to move the carb into the main jet circuitry.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

What do you consider to be "Throttle Position"? If it is how far you have your right wrist twisted, I would say "not always". With the engine in high gear and only traveling at 20 mph, if you twist the throttle to max, the low velocity of the air past the slide will not allow the slide to move all of the way up until higher RPMs are achieved. Therefore, the carb circuit that is controlling fuel flow will be the taper of the needle, not the main jet.

The other extreme is with the engine in neutral, you don't have to have the throttle twisted all the way to move the carb into the main jet circuitry.

Ride on
Brewster
Yes, I definitely see what you're saying, but I'm thinking this may be more semantics than anything else. The cable pull slide carb is mechanically and immediately pulling the needle up out of the main jet and tube whereas the CV has to wait for air velocity to do the same...regardless of throttle position. I get that. But for jetting purposes, you apply basically the same principle to the circuit you're jetting for as it compares to the throttle position. Maybe we should use the term "constant throttle position" for a given tuning effort to a given circuit, but again, I think we may be splitting hairs. Or I guess we could just use the term "slide position" as it applies to any given tuning effort to a given circuit. The bottom line, however, is that I think we all know what we're trying to describe.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Yes, I definitely see what you're saying, but I'm thinking this may be more semantics than anything else. The cable pull slide carb is mechanically and immediately pulling the needle up out of the main jet and tube whereas the CV has to wait for air velocity to do the same...regardless of throttle position. I get that. But for jetting purposes, you apply basically the same principle to the circuit you're jetting for as it compares to the throttle position. Maybe we should use the term "constant throttle position" for a given tuning effort to a given circuit, but again, I think we may be splitting hairs. Or I guess we could just use the term "slide position" as it applies to any given tuning effort to a given circuit. The bottom line, however, is that I think we all know what we're trying to describe.
Now we're on common ground. If you go back and read the first 5 posts of this thread, you should see why I tried to make my point about the difference between throttle position and slide position.

Ride on
Brewster

Quick Reply: More info on carb needed?