Monday afternoon bear scouting

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea scope on a pistol has been around since the 60's, but has recently become a popular way to hunt again. Not that I will ever hit anything with it. But its fun to think about it.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet

deej, just needs contacts.
Yeah... just need some practice. I can hit a human sized target with my beretta 92fs (9mm) with its irons sights at 100 yards. A few weeks ago I even snaked an absolute dead center bullseye at 35 yards. But, then again... I shoot about 2-3 times a week

Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Will deej or Jason's gun stop a big bear in full charge?
we don't have bears just rabbits and possums, shooting rabbit with a 9mm is a little messy

Old 06-06-2009, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, good for you Jason, but this is deej's misadventure thread.

I like deej riding threads.

Now, Jason....you do know how to ride that lil klx right? Been anywhere lately? .... this year and local. Post up. If not, go ride that lil biatch somewhere and take a couple pics to prove it.

Lets see your weapon next to some dung.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karitane Pete
we don't have bears just rabbits and possums, shooting rabbit with a 9mm is a little messy
lol...not likely unless unless a TV superhero was shooting in fantasy land. Last thing ya want to do is injure and **** off a bear ..... bear pepper spray is the best ...... but I do carry a weapon too thou, ya know just in case all else fails....but it is mostly meant for humans.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, good for you Jason, but this is deej's misadventure thread.

Now, Jason....you do know how to ride that lil klx right?
I know, but I have to tell my accomplishments to somebody.

Been anywhere lately? .... this year and local. Post up. If not, go ride that lil biatch somewhere and take a couple pics to prove it.
Oh yeah...acutally I end up doing more road riding than anything. I don't intend to, it just ends up that way. I got a helmet cam, just a cheap POS. Maybe I can go out tomorrow if I get time and its not raining. It was nice today but of course, I was shooting instead. Put down about 150 rounds.

Lets see your weapon next to some dung.
Bear $hit will be hard...how bout some dog $hit? I have plenty of that. I have 2 dogs that go through a 50lb bag of dog food a week, not counting table scraps. I could get it all and pile it up into a huge and then get all my guns and lay them beside the $hit and take a pic of that. Maybe I can take one of my shotguns and stand at the top of the pile like Theodore Roosevelt.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karitane Pete
Killing, in itself, is much like marksmanship, its hard to do and you have to practice at it.

Shot place is everything, but when your in a high adrenaline situation your only half as good as you are at rest (if that). Plus..taking into effect your going to have a moving target and you going to be dropping a load in your pants.

I have some +P 124 grain (+P is 9mm talk for high velocity, and there is also +p+ rounds) hollow points for my 9mm. They are pretty nasty. They can cut through a 1/4" piece of aluminum at 5 yards. The .45 ACP just puts a smell dent in it. But I still wouldn't pitting it against a bear. Perhaps my old mans .45 win mag.....it slike a .44 mag only a much hotter powder charge. The gun is called a "Grizzly", its a LAR Grizzly. Modeled after a 1911, that is about....I dont know, 20% larger with about a 30% larger handle to accommodate the larger round. That thing is a beast!!!! Thats the next most powerful handgun down from a .50 AE. Matter of fact when it was introduced in the mid 80's it was the most powerful handgun in the world. But of course the .50 AE , 454 cassull , and .500 S&W, dethroned it.

gun class dismissed.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
Bear $hit will be hard...how bout some dog $hit? I have plenty of that. I have 2 dogs that go through a 50lb bag of dog food a week, not counting table scraps. I could get it all and pile it up into a huge and then get all my guns and lay them beside the $hit and take a pic of that. Maybe I can take one of my shotguns and stand at the top of the pile like Theodore Roosevelt.
LOL, now thats funny!
Jason are you in law enforcement or military? How can you afford to shoot 2-3 times a week? Around here ammo is in short supply, and expensive.
I have cut back on my trips to the range because of this !

Old 06-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea try shooting a 44. Its a buck a shot. I need a Ruger 22 to plunk with. Anyone remember when a box of 22 shells was like 50 cents? So was a gallon of gas....ok move it along folks...nothing to see here except an old guy trying to bring back the past.

Does this sound familiar:
When I was a kid I walked to school in the snow uphill both ways. All we had to eat was dirt.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Does this sound familiar:When I was a kid I walked to school in the snow uphill both ways. All we had to eat was dirt.
Yeh, funny how I used to laugh at my old man's stories. Now I'm telling my own .

Quick Reply: Monday afternoon bear scouting