Mods: straighten me out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matasickle
Anyone else want to chime in on the DJ debate??
I'll comment. I think if you're going to go with a pipe and airbox mods, then the 300 DJ needle is better. And if you're going to consider a bigger cylinder at any time, I think the 300 DJ needle is a no-brainer. On the 300 OEM needle, I see a lot of people have had good results with it. If you look on the ADV site on the KLX thread there, you'll see that some have too rich a condition no matter how they clip it. Not sure what's going on there. Regardless, I think the DJ needle is worth the money. I believe it has the best profile to produce good power and still retain some fuel economy. I have a 300 cylinder on mine, and I still regularly get 45-65mpg from worst to best mileage in varying conditions with the 300 DJ needle.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I'll comment. I think if you're going to go with a pipe and airbox mods, then the 300 DJ needle is better. And if you're going to consider a bigger cylinder at any time, I think the 300 DJ needle is a no-brainer. On the 300 OEM needle, I see a lot of people have had good results with it. If you look on the ADV site on the KLX thread there, you'll see that some have too rich a condition no matter how they clip it. Not sure what's going on there. Regardless, I think the DJ needle is worth the money. I believe it has the best profile to produce good power and still retain some fuel economy. I have a 300 cylinder on mine, and I still regularly get 45-65mpg from worst to best mileage in varying conditions with the 300 DJ needle.
Thanks for your input.. I am actually going to get the 351 kit in the near future.. I am going to pull the trigger on a DynoJet 2206 kit right now..
$56 shipped isn't too bad..

Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
On the DJ kit, I too believe that the experts are the DJ folks. They run the kit on a dyno, they choose the best parts to make the kit, and they sell the kit. That's why I am buying from them. I follow their advice and use the kit that they made for my bike. If the other needle was better, why wouldn't they use it in the kit?

I got the klx300 kit. The klx250s is a road going dual sport. The klx300 is a dirt bike meant to haul as much *** as it can with total disregard for on road/emissions performance for the sake of WOT performance. The shape of the needle is totally different....there are pictures on here somewhere.

Kawasaki engineers are experts, right? Why not just keep it stock then?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayTard
I got the klx300 kit. The klx250s is a road going dual sport. The klx300 is a dirt bike meant to haul as much *** as it can with total disregard for on road/emissions performance for the sake of WOT performance. The shape of the needle is totally different....there are pictures on here somewhere.

Ray, if I'm reading you correctly, I have to disagree on some of your assessment...but I'm kind of getting two different angles on your comment. The KLX300 is hardly a fire-breathing off road monster, eating small children and destroying whole towns in its wake...LOL! It's a very mellow trail bike. The horsepower ratings alone should indicate that. But then I get the idea that you're doing some tongue-in-cheek on part of your comment. Sorry for the confusion if I'm not clear on your statement.

If you're confirming the positive return of the DJ 300 needle, then I'm in full agreement with you. I think the OEM 300 needle works, but I don't think it's as balanced an overall needle as the DJ version.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Ray, if I'm reading you correctly, I have to disagree on some of your assessment...but I'm kind of getting two different angles on your comment. The KLX300 is hardly a fire-breathing off road monster, eating small children and destroying whole towns in its wake...LOL! It's a very mellow trail bike. The horsepower ratings alone should indicate that. But then I get the idea that you're doing some tongue-in-cheek on part of your comment. Sorry for the confusion if I'm not clear on your statement.

If you're confirming the positive return of the DJ 300 needle, then I'm in full agreement with you. I think the OEM 300 needle works, but I don't think it's as balanced an overall needle as the DJ version.
Im saying that most normal people would typically ride a klx300 dirt bike harder than a klx250 dual sport. Your right it had nothing to do performance wise.....lol

Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayTard

So first off, Kawi engineers are experts at designing a carb system to meet EPA specs, costs down, sales up, lawyers happy, etc. They are not tasked with getting the best running bike. DJ is an aftermarket company who can choose to supply the KLX300 needle or not and they choose to supply a different needle in an effort to get the best running bike. They decided that the KLX250 needs a different needle than the old KLX300.

It's not about how hard people ride a bike. It is about making the KLX250 run as best as it can. What makes anybody think that the KLX250 kit from DJ is somehow "mellower"? It either provides the right fuel mix or it doesn't. Why would it ever be an advantage to not provide the right fuel mix, other than for EPA testing?

Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
So first off, Kawi engineers are experts at designing a carb system to meet EPA specs, costs down, sales up, lawyers happy, etc. They are not tasked with getting the best running bike. DJ is an aftermarket company who can choose to supply the KLX300 needle or not and they choose to supply a different needle in an effort to get the best running bike. They decided that the KLX250 needs a different needle than the old KLX300.

It's not about how hard people ride a bike. It is about making the KLX250 run as best as it can. What makes anybody think that the KLX250 kit from DJ is somehow "mellower"? It either provides the right fuel mix or it doesn't. Why would it ever be an advantage to not provide the right fuel mix, other than for EPA testing?
Yes it is about how the bike is ridden, the klx300 DJ needle is more aggressively tapered...FOR a dirt bike that is ridden more aggressively compared to the street oriented klx250.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Enough DJ bickering.. lets discuss the following:
Originally Posted by Matasickle
Also, anyone want to edumacate me on what the "crank breather" diy is?

Old 05-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

just another pointless mod that doesnt really do anything.... I went as far as putting a PCV valve from a car in my crankcase breather tube. Nada...

Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
just another pointless mod that doesnt really do anything.... I went as far as putting a PCV valve from a car in my crankcase breather tube. Nada...
So don't even waste my time? No benefit of it?(weight loss/improved performance/improved gas efficiency?

Quick Reply: Mods: straighten me out!