Modernizing my 2005 KLX 300 Supermoto

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012 | 01:52 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

check your float height if all fuel lines and vents are open and flowing freely.

Old 03-30-2012 | 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes the idle will need tweeked for sure, seems common with all big bore conversions. It seems to be just about right with DJ132 / needle clip 2nd from bottom / mixture 2.75 out.

Old 03-30-2012 | 02:36 AM
|
1st Gear Member

thanks for the input, i will check the bowl to make sure it is filling and i will rejet the cvk and adjust the a/f mix.

see if that will help.

also read about tipping the bike on its side until fuel leaks out of the vent lines and try cracking her over then.

i know the damn thing starts, just need to figure out this fueling to get the bike to start consistently.

Old 04-01-2012 | 05:28 PM
|
1st Gear Member

So, i checked the bowl and there it is definitely filling with fuel, i played with the cvk and turned up the a/f on it, tipped the bike on its side and tried to over fill the bowl with fuel and still nothing. Just a sore leg.

I took the valve cover back off and checked my valves, tight everywhere. Ranging from .04mm to .08mm
Did a compression test and only pulled 60psi on the dot, From what i've been reading im supposed to be at atleast 100psi so im hoping my valves are just not closing completely and letting compression escape.
My valve shim kit will be in tomorrow, im hoping when i get my valve within spec that i will gain some compression.
If not, im going to have to look to see if i have any bent valves and if my piston rings are sealing properly.

Old 04-01-2012 | 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Your compression test will show low due to the A(utomatic) C(ompression) R(elease).

Old 04-01-2012 | 09:19 PM
|
1st Gear Member

Yes I understand that, which is way I did a leakdown test. I have a 35% loss on the intake valves.
I'm able to 0 out the guage when I cycle the piston while hooked up to the leakdown tester so I know my valves are seated properly and not leaking in one part of the cycle.

We will find out Monday when I reshim.

Old 04-02-2012 | 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hedz0r
I have a 35% loss on the intake valves.
Since you still have some clearance on the valves it sounds as though there may be carbon buildup on the intake valves with that 35% loss.

Old 04-02-2012 | 02:55 AM
|
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Since you still have some clearance on the valves it sounds as though there may be carbon buildup on the intake valves with that 35% loss.
As in my valves are being held open by grime on the seats? I don't doubt that and I suppose that should be one thing to look into.
I would really hate to pull my head again if I do not have to. I'm going to try to reshim them tomorrow and check with the leak down again. Hopefully I won't have to do a full valve job and that its just a clearance issue.

Old 04-03-2012 | 03:46 PM
|
1st Gear Member

shimmed my valves back into spec last night. while the camshafts were pulled i figured i would do a leakdown and compression test. Compression was still at 60psi and i was still leaking 35% out of the valves (or maybe my piston rings arnt seating properly).

i really am not sure what direction i should go from this point, the bike will still not start. im getting fuel, im getting spark, its timed correctly, the only thing i can think of is that the compression is low.

so i guess off comes the head again... i can check the rings and send the head off to be revalved. i guess thats all i can really think to do at this point.

Old 04-04-2012 | 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Does it fire at all?

Quick Reply: Modernizing my 2005 KLX 300 Supermoto