Modernizing my 2005 KLX 300 Supermoto

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012 | 04:31 AM
|
1st Gear Member

guess i do owe you all some updates. Got the 2009 KLX250s headlight installed by making up some brackets to mount to the 2005 triple trees, turned out pretty good i think.
Name:  IMAG0276.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  172.8 KB

got the Bill Blue 351 big bore kit installed and thrown in the bike along with the Mikuni 36mm pumper carb
Name:  IMAG0277.jpg
Views: 2989
Size:  185.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0278.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  159.8 KB

and am trying to decide with i am going to do about graphics but i think the stockers may work for the time being.

Name:  IMAG0279.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  183.4 KB

Everything was going together very well until i tried to kick the bike over. My legs are killing me from kicking that damn thing over, i decided to pop the valve cover off and check the timing as a last resort. Of course the timing was off by a few teeth and was prohibiting the bike from starting. I fixing my timing error and started bolting the cover that holds the cam shafts down when my torque wrench failed. all the bolts were torqued down to 11ft/lb and i started to go back over the bolts to get them to their final torque specs of 34ft/lb when my torque wrench failed and never clicked when i hit and passed 34ft/lb. Ended up snapping one of the bolts with the thread caught all the way into the head without easy extraction.

Now i am stuck trying to find a head on ebay, buying a new head ($670 something dollars) or getting the bolt extracted from an engine rebuilding shop. since this just happened today, i have no idea which direction i am going to head in fixing this **** up. I can day i am devastated and upset about the whole scenario. I was so close to riding this damn bike today.

Old 03-26-2012 | 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Take your broken off bolt/bike to your local welder and have a bolt welded to the broken off piece. Then you can remove what was left easily and without damaging the head any further. Its so easy when you have access to a mig or a tig welder, but tig is alot cleaner. The thing just about unscrews itself out from the welding heat

Old 03-26-2012 | 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Service manual says 106 inch pounds for the cam caps. Your torque specs are for the four allen bolts that hold the head on. Also two of the bolts are longer than the others. Sorry you had trouble, was a nice day in Wisconsin for some riding. Hope the valves survived the startup attempts with the cam timing off. Can you get a slender scribe/pick down the hole and work it out? with the head broke off it should not be under any tension unless it is bottomed out. Good Luck.

Old 03-26-2012 | 05:26 AM
|
1st Gear Member

Since its only torqued down to 109 in lb what are my chances of destorying a valve or cam shaft with only 7 of the 8 bolts that hold the cap on?

That is, if all else fails first.

Old 03-29-2012 | 03:38 PM
|
1st Gear Member

Pulled the head off and took it to an engine rebuilding shop, they were able to get the broken screw out without damaging the threads.

So I got the head back and assembled it back on the bike, set the timing, hooked up the carb etc..

Turned on the ign and opened the gas up and kicked and kicked and kicked. Had it fire up on me a couple of times but it would die after about a minute and I had to hold the throttle open for it stay running.
So I'm guessing it is not getting enough fuel, even with the tm36-68 carb. Also the plug is dry when I pull it.

Need to get this figured out, id like to ride this weekend.

Old 03-29-2012 | 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking you might try the CV carb as the jetting should be fairly close coming from a 300. Just to see if you can get it started, I have heard the pumper carbs can be a PITA to get jetted right. Is your pumper carb new or used? Does it squirt fuel when you twist the throttle?

Old 03-30-2012 | 12:40 AM
|
1st Gear Member

I went ahead and put the cvk back on today, jetting is the DJ stage 1 i believe.

It started up for me in this configuration just once and ran for about a minute and a half before it died. i also had to apply throttle in order to keep it running just like with the mikuni. The mikuni does spray fuel when the throttle is opened.

The plug is still very dry and doesnt seem to be pulling enough fuel, when it does start(rarely) it doesnt stay running for very long and needs constant throttle input to keep running.

It seems like its burning all the fuel from the bowl then stops, so maybe the bowls are not filling up properly.

Old 03-30-2012 | 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Vent lines pinched/plugged?

Old 03-30-2012 | 01:38 AM
|
1st Gear Member

nope, carb vent lines are not hung up on anything and should flow freely.
petcock also flows fuel just fine.

Old 03-30-2012 | 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Just try opening up the fuel bowl drain and make sure that fuel is freely flowing out. I would open the pilot jet 1 turn and set the idle up higher for a start. definitely check the vent lines. Should go if you have spark.

Quick Reply: Modernizing my 2005 KLX 300 Supermoto