Mod Idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Mod Idea

Ok, now Marty has posted about installing a PCV valve to help remove any crankcase pressure. I like the idea. Now I woke up this morning with a silimlar idea. I am still running the emissions that draw air from the airbox to the exhaust because it doesn't effect the performance. Now, how about running the crankcase venting through the emmision system? It would give a possitive evacuation and burn up any oil vapors in the exhaust. What do you inmates think?

Old 09-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mod Idea

That sounds plausible, Tony. I can't say that I know exactly what the smog stuff does, though, so I can't give it a thumbs up or down for sure. To the best of my understanding, it feeds clean air from the airbox over to the exhaust port area through a one-way valve, presumably to create a hotter burn to burn up anything left over after combustion as opposed to it being vented directly out the pipe. There is a carburetor hookup to the smog stuff - does a little bit of fuel air mixture get fed into the mix to ensure a complete burn?

The only thing I'd be a little leary of is if there's not enough air volume being supplied from the crankcase like there would be from a direct airbox hookup for the smog stuff to work properly, and secondly, perhaps over time, the sticky goop from the crankcase may make the one-way smog valve fail - stick open or closed, and what the effects of that might be. I know PCV valves need to be replaced every now and then.

Maybe neither of those are an issue, though, and it might work fine for years.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

The little line from the top of the carb going to the one way smog valve is a vacum line no gases come from it. If you suck on the little hose and watch the one way valve you will see it working. IMO all that smog crap is just that CRAP[:'(] On a little engine like this I can't beleave that the goverment requires this stupid stuff...... The best way IMO is to run a small vent like me and No Brakes did unless they make us go through an emission test will be fine ..... I would keep all the stuff just in case I can put it back on in about 2 min ....

Old 09-10-2006, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Same here, everything that I've removed is sitting in a drawer in the garage. I took the smog stuff off last week and it got rid of the lean pop on decel. I made a block off plate from 3/16 aluminum and used some old bronze bushings to take up the space on the outside of the plate as I didn't know how deeply the bolts could go. It also gives a bunch more room for taking out the spark plug as well as getting the tank to seat easier.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I continue to strongly advocate removing the air injection system altogether. It causes the head and exhaust header temperatures to be excessive which contributes to exhaust valve deterioration and header pipe discoloration. It also is a contributing factor to decel popping.

Pull it and trash it.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

I have wanted to remove the smog crap on my street bike for some time now but I am affraid of getting stopped at a CHP spot inpection, that they set up in the popular mountain riding area's, no smog would get me a tow for sure. [&o]