Moab, UT

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Moab, UT

Well, I'm back from my Moab trip with the bike. I crossed paths with another KLX250Sbetween Kane Creek and Cliff Hanger entrance and once around town. Just wondering if it was anyone on here. I'll post pics when I get back to my house at the end of the week. I did more riding than picture taking though. For those who are familiar with the Moab trails, I ran Kane Creek, Poison Spider, and Steelbender. Damage is slightly tweaked handlebar and torn seat cover. I tweaked the handlebar when I planted my front tire into a deep hole while climbing. I went over the handlebars pretty hard. I think it looked worse to the jeep guys because I had my backpack on and had a hard time getting my balance when Istood up. The torn seat came from me getting myself between a rock and a hard spot on a rock climb with a lot of sand on it. I tried rolling the bike backwards down the climb and the bike slipped onto it's side tearing the seat cover and slid about 10 feet down. Other than that, the bike stayed rubber down. The 13/42 gearing worked pretty well, but it would have been better with a 13/45. Twice my bike slipped to neutral from first while engine braking down some steep descents. I probably just need to change my oil and hope it doesn't happen anymore. My rims have some rock rash. I ran the stock tires, but I sipedthe rear tire and notched the front tire before heading there. It seemed to help with traction, but I wouldn' t recommend it unless you have a lot of time on your hands and aren't in a rush to get new tires.There was a lot more sand on the trails than I remember from previous years and unless you rode fast, it would take forever togetthrough. I rode a few trails in the jeep with my Dad and it was fun, but the bike is way funner and faster. If your notshy of big cliffs andsome aggressive climbs, Moab is a great place to ride. Just be sure you ride within the BLM requirements.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Moab, UT

Pictures, Wes! We need pictures! I'm surprised you went with that front tire on there after all the trouble it's caused. I remember that ride towards Electra when the front end tucked in on me at about 30 mph. Scared the hell out of me. [:-]

Glad you're back and in one piece! Bummer about the seat cover. I like that one.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice write up Wes and looking forward to pictures.

My long bike trip this year was to Daytona for bike week, but maybe Moab next year. Is this a good time of year to go?

Old 04-11-2007, 06:18 AM
1st Gear Member

April is probably the best time. The Easter Jeep Safari will be in March next year so you won't have to worry about too much traffic on the trails in April. Just be sure to not go on the trails alone and don't let someone who goes into panic mode ride those trails. If you panic, you could end up falling 500 feet off a cliff.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:26 AM
1st Gear Member

What's up Thunderchild,

We're gonna have to get over to Muenster soon while I still have some skills built up from Moab. I need to get a better front tire still. The 603 is still junk although a little better with the notching and siping.