Mirrors for the street

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Doh!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys!! I really thought about this today going down the highway. The left one is not useful for me. It can't slide far enough on the bar with the other stuff like the light switch. It is fine for the side view however.

The right one is better. I can position it so I can get a decent rear view. I do lose some side doing so. I am in the habit of turning my head so its not that bad. Today at 70 on the highway turning my head was a workout.

A rectangular mirror would likely give me more view. It would also, match the lines of the bike with the rectangular headlight of my 06. Worse for impact.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Why would Kawasaki come up with such a bad design? The mirrors and the seat are terrible, I don't get it. The only way I can see behind me is if I scoot over.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spyke
Why would Kawasaki come up with such a bad design? The mirrors and the seat are terrible, I don't get it. The only way I can see behind me is if I scoot over.
Bad design? I don't have a problem seeing behind me with the stock mirrors adjusted properly.

The seat is more of an MX style. As this bike shines off-road, it makes perfect sense the way they designed the seat. If you want to ride roads all day, get a KLR650. If you ride dirt all day, you'll appreciate the seat the way it is.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Cheep feex:
I bent the arm of my left mirror a little bit more. Took it off, put it in a vice and used a jumbo pair of channel locks to pursuade it. It's a little lower but also out further. Have the arm sitting at a right angle to the front wheel, not pulled back toward you that bit.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
I am still getting used to the bike but I find that I would like some wider mirrors. I CAN see behind me but the left one is somewhat compromised due to it being inward a bit. It would be great to have them stick out a bit more to clear my cannonball deltoids and python arms

I know this is terrible for off road but maybe some folding ones that will stick out further.

I also wonder if just rectangular would be a bit better.

Not the end of the world but I do like to know everything going on behind me.
I bought a pair of these for $5 and they give me pretty good visibility behind me. Especially if I'm hunkered down in the wind. They just stick on.

Attached Thumbnails Mirrors for the street-photo-0.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I have yet to find a mirror that doesn't vibrate on the highway, even on my Z1000 which is a fairly smooth 4-cyl. Man I miss that bike. Didn't ride it enough so I got rid of it.

Anyway... I put the Doubletake mirrors on both my KLX250S and my DR650. The mirrors themselves are awesome, and yeah you do have to tighten them down a lot, but you have to do that with any RAM mounted device. I already crashed my KLX with the Doubletakes on it and it survived nicely.. barely a scratch. They're about $100/set, which really isn't that bad when you consider the stock mirrors are $60+ each.

Rob

Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
I have yet to find a mirror that doesn't vibrate on the highway, even on my Z1000 which is a fairly smooth 4-cyl. Man I miss that bike. Didn't ride it enough so I got rid of it.

Anyway... I put the Doubletake mirrors on both my KLX250S and my DR650. The mirrors themselves are awesome, and yeah you do have to tighten them down a lot, but you have to do that with any RAM mounted device. I already crashed my KLX with the Doubletakes on it and it survived nicely.. barely a scratch. They're about $100/set, which really isn't that bad when you consider the stock mirrors are $60+ each.

Rob
I wonder if you could use some carbon fiber assembly paste would help keep them tight without having to ream down on the mounts. I bet a buck it would.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I have these KTM mirrors on my other dual sport and they work awesome.

KTM OEM Folding mirror 243 or 280mm

Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Websurfing101
I have these KTM mirrors on my other dual sport and they work awesome.

KTM OEM Folding mirror 243 or 280mm
Those do look nice. I like the somewhat oval shape. It looks like they would give a wider view than the stick mirrors.

Quick Reply: Mirrors for the street