Mikuni TM36-68 on a Stock Bore 2009 KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

TNC, if the .9 air jet you refer to is the MAJ, then yes, it will affect all fueling from transition off idle to redline..

Old 09-05-2015, 04:15 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
TNC, if the .9 air jet you refer to is the MAJ, then yes, it will affect all fueling from transition off idle to redline..
No, it's titled as the pilot air jet, and I didn't mean to suggest it affected WOT. I was just pointing out how it has a fairly substantial impact on throttle response...IMO more than the pilot jet. Since the idle air jet has a noticeable effect on the vacuum signal, it does more than just adding fuel like the pilot jet does. In my case I had some inconsistent throttle response using Mustang's and Dan's numbers...along with some weird surging that was very ambient air temperature sensitive. Needle position, pilot jet change, and a couple of other tweaks didn't clean it up. Just one step down on the pilot air jet and wham...crisp, clean, throttle response. I think it's easy to overlook the effect of this little item...maybe because most carbs don't have it as a separate adjustment.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks TNC. There is some mild throttle response issues on my bike that I chalked up to the AP, but I think I'll be adding the slow jet to the list of to-do's. It certainly rings true that it's air temp sensitive!

Old 09-05-2015, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh hell.. a pilot air jet... yep.. one more thing to have to fool with on the TM..lol

The air jets are suppose to be tuned to allow the pilot jet and the needle jet to operate "in spec" ... Problem is that there is no "recipe"/formula for guidance... All I ever found on the CVK is that the pressure differential between the (ambient) air above the fuel in the bowl and the air entering the needle jet, once it is past the MAJ, is suppose to be 1 PSI.. Our MAJ's are not replaceable.. So, instead of becoming an alcoholic, I decided to just keep upping the main jet until AFR's came to target..

Last edited by Klxster; 09-05-2015 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
Thanks TNC. There is some mild throttle response issues on my bike that I chalked up to the AP, but I think I'll be adding the slow jet to the list of to-do's. It certainly rings true that it's air temp sensitive!
He's referring to the pilot air jet which is located at the bottom of the carb's bell mouth (entry). Slow jet usually refers to the pilot jet in my experience.

Just a heads up

Old 09-05-2015, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar
He's referring to the pilot air jet which is located at the bottom of the carb's bell mouth (entry). Slow jet usually refers to the pilot jet in my experience.

Just a heads up

Meant to say Slow AIR jet, which is what TNC was referring to I believe.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:38 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
Meant to say Slow AIR jet, which is what TNC was referring to I believe.
Yes, that's the one.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Slow Air Pilot Starter Needle Jet Ports.... Also, I'm drunk..

Old 09-05-2015, 05:51 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Slow Air Pilot Starter Needle Jet Ports.... Also, I'm drunk..
I'm holding off on tequila intake until first camp evening next Tuesday on my way to Utah...somewhere near the mountains of Cuba, NM...LOL!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I had noticed a variation in a/f ratio as the revs climbed with one or both bigger carbs previously. There wasn't a huge difference as the revs neared the rpm limiter, but since then I see from reading posts here that I can address high-er rpm a/f drifting by changing the paj to richer or lean as needed to fine tune max power..

Quick Reply: Mikuni TM36-68 on a Stock Bore 2009 KLX250S