Might Be Useful Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 05:57 AM
Default Might Be Useful Information

I was just surfin' around and found this little bit of information.

It's a chart of torque values for the KLX250 / KLX300. I'm sure the same torque values can be used on our KLX250S. At least this will do until we can get shop manuals.

Thanks to the folks at Planet KLX for posting this information!

Old 01-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Might Be Useful Information

Don't use a torque wrench never have never will, the only time I will use one is for new head bolts in an auto engine, but those days are gone too. I have read too many negative things about broken bolts over on the TT (Thumper Talk) site, and the constant back and forth dry versus oil on the threads. Common sense tighten it and re-tighten after running for a while. Torque wrench? Not for me, LOL Along with a torque wrench you beter get one of these for you're tool box. Uh oh deej figured out how to post pictures in his messages, he must be stopped. LOL later guys.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:42 PM

Deej,

First of all, where did you get a picture of an oxymoron?

"Easy Out" - No it is not!

Usually the broken bolt winds up with half an Easy Out in it. Do you know how much harder hardened tool steel is to drill than a standard bolt! Not a happy situation. [sm=alcoholic.gif]

[sm=rant.gif]

Okay, now I'm going to say it. If you don't know how to use a torque wrench properly, you will break bolts left and right. There are too many fools out there that don't even understand the difference between foot pounds and inch pounds. Most users of a torque wrench have never taken the time to properly learn how to use it, let alone how to properly care for it.

In my mechanical repair toolbox - the one that I use for motorcycle work -

Name:  ValveCheck010.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  91.9 KB

is one drawer that has nothing but torque wrenches in it. I have a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench that is strictly for use in inch pounds with a range of 20 to 200 inch pounds. I have 3 3/8 inch torque wrenches. 1 has a range of 10 to 80 foot pounds, another has a range 25 to 250 inch pounds and a longer 3/8 wrench that has a range of 20 to 120 foot pounds. There is also the "Big Dawg" 1/2 drive torque wrench that has a range of 40 to 200 foot pounds - that will make you grunt!

This does not count the beam and dial torque wrenches that have been taken out of service. Why so many? I've been a motorhead for most of my 58 years on this planet. Was racing go-karts and stuff as a kid, then I moved on to drag racing of cars in my teenage years and continued running a Pro car until I had two kids in college - something had to give and it was my racing. I've built many 4 stroke engines and I firmly believe in using a torque wrench when tightening a fastener on a vehicle.

Improper tightness will cause you untold grief over the years on a motorcycle. [sm=icon_rtfm.gif]

I must say that the use of a torque wrench has saved many a bolt from being sheared off. I only use torque wrenches because they work!

[sm=rant.gif]

Old 01-27-2006, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I use my torque wrench religiously.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Ever seen a Harly toolkit?

half a brick and a cold chisel

Old 02-01-2006, 03:09 PM

MaverickAus,

Back in my cruiser days - before I found out about real motorcycles - I used to ride my Vulcan with a lot of Harley guys. One particular day we were out making noise and enjoying ourselves. My buddy lost the shifter peg on his Wide Glide. Guess it just unthreaded itself and dropped off somewhere. I didn't think it was worth going back for, since we were about 6 miles from the last place where any shifting would have been done.

I gave him the opportunity to let me tow him with my Vulcan - which was immediately met with a resounding "NO!" Perhaps he did not want to take the chance that someone might see a Vulcan towing a Harley!

Just up the road was a Tractor Supply Company store (US store that sells farm supplies and such) and I said, "Oh look, a Harley store!" I rode up, bought a 3/8 inch bolt and a nut and made a shifter for him on the spot.

Just remember, some of the best mechanics ride Harleys - they have to be good to keep it running and going!

Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 06-03-2008, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member

95% of Harleys are still on the road, the other 5% made it home [8D]

Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member