Michelin AC-10 Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Michelin AC-10 Update

With about300 miles on the tires I figure its time for an update. They are wearing well and handle the road good. The rear tire grips when you want it to and can still kick it out in the corners. Very predictable handling, you can brake slide it and lay the bike WAY over and it doesn't suddenly lose grip like the C858 would.

In the mud:
The front tire is ok, nothing to get excited about. It more or less goes where you point it. However even with the aggressive side ***** it doesn't like to climb out of a rut as easily as the K776 would, I'm thinking maybe its because the ***** are smaller on the AC-10? In fact at one point in the trail where I usually switch lanes, the AC-10 just bumped along the side and wouldn't get a purchase at all. The rear tire did churn through a pretty deep mud hole tonight, but lacked the authority of the Trakmaster. I got through ok but it spun alot more than I would have liked.

On hardpack:
These tires are really good on hardpack, front and rear grip nicely, very predictable, good braking and accelerating traction.

Gravel, both pea sized and large crusher run:
The rear tire seemed to want to spin alot in gravel, even once you were under way at 30-40 mph. The front is pretty sketchy as far as swapping around and not holding a straight line. I wouldn't say its terrible but I did like the 776 better in this terrain as well.

Sand:
I hit a good bit of sand tonight, ranging from shallow 2-3 inch deep to who knows how deep ( I didn't find bottom!) At low speeds the front tire is all over the place, it will sometimes ride on top and others it just wallows, very unpredictable. The rear hooks up well and will keep you moving through it no matter the speed. It holds a line nicely in a sandy corner. At 40+ the front tire calms down some but it still doesn't inspire much confidence. I'd say that at speed it felt close to the 776 as far as stability. At under 5 mph trying to do a U turn on the trail tonight I rode up a small berm on the right and was turning full lock left, slipping the clutch and the speedo didn't even register my speed, the front tire just washed out and over I went Although I guess the dusty sand didn't help matters any, it so dry here they've announce a state of emergency and have initiated a burning ban until the 30th.

Anyway for a scale of 1-10 handling comparison here we go:

Pavement
AC-10- 8, smooth and quiet relatively
TM2/K776F- 6.5, vibes, louder than burly mud tires on a pickup, but handled well

Hardpack
AC-10- 9.5, predictable, well planted
TM2/K776F- 9.5, same reasons

Mud of the deep sloppy variety
AC-10- 7.5, will get you through, might want to keep the momentum up though
TM2/K776F- 9, front tracks pretty well, TM2 will get you through, if the pegs aren't touching yet you will make it no problem

Mud of the peanut buttery consistency over rocks(Jiffy not the oily, greasey au natural stuff)
AC-10- 8.5, pick a line and go, the front is planted and the rear will push through with ease
TM2/K776F- 8, about the same but the TM2 liked to slide off the rocks from time to time putting the front off course

Sand
AC-10 - 7, OK-ish at higher speeds when you get on top of the sand, getting there is pretty squirrely, front will wash out at low speeds, downhill on all sand is pretty sketchy, the front tucks easily wether on the brake or not
TM2/K776F-8.75, relatively planted at all speeds, only went down once in 2200 miles, and that was doing donuts in a sand pit. From 0mph up to whatever the 776F was very confidence inspiring, even just before I changed it and the center ***** were down to the wear indicator. The TM2 would spin a bit and then launch and get you on top of the sand in pretty short order and didn't swap around too much.

Overall
AC-10......8.1
TM2/K776F.......8.35

I left price out of the above because I ordered the Kendas through my local shop and they ended up costing the same as the AC-10s but typically the Kendas are $95 for a set vs $120 for the AC-10s.

If you are looking for a dirt biased tire combo (90/10)I'd highly reommend the 776F and Trakmaster Kendas. If you do more street but like to get pretty rough in the dirt as well(70/30), then I'd go for the Michelin AC-10's. I can't say that I'm diappointed with the tires but I most likely won't be a repeat customer, unless they wear significantly longer than the TM2/K776F combo. The price difference doesn't justify the performance difference at this point.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Michelin AC-10 Update

Nice objective report. My primary experience is with soft sand here is S FL, I'll put it this way I just ordered a set of TM2s for my adv...... I like'm that much and they last fairly long on the slab.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Eventually I'll go back to a TM2 rear, I don't really plan on trying the front. The pattern on the front doesn't look conducive to lateral traction. Alotta guys in NJ liked them but I ride such a mix of terrain that I'm not sure they would be verywell suited to it.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:49 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Excellent write up!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:08 PM

Just put the AC-10's on last night, and rode to work this morning. They are deffently bigger then stock, almost enough to have to change my gearing back down. They do feel a bit more "floaty" (for lack of a better term) then the stock 603's running striaght at 65, but are solid in the turns. Has anyone else felt that or do I have the air preasure wrong, set it at 23lbs. Overall with only about 50miles of slab on them they look and feel okay, but time will tell. Thanks for all the advice -later

Old 09-26-2007, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I have 15 psi front and 18 rear. I had an indicated 80 mph on them and the narrow front tire does want to wiggle at that speed. If these wear anything like the 776 did, then higher pressures will destroy the center ***** and leave your tire looking like a reverse mohawk. With some miles on them they calm down on the pavement. They have a distinct sound around 30-40 mph, but quiet down above that.

The rounder profile of the tire makes them a bit quicker handling on the pavement, very subtle changes in peg pressure will alter your course.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

How many miles are people getting out of the TM II's?

Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

2200 miles out of mine and it was still useable. I probably could have gotten 500-700 more out of it before it hit the wear indicator but I've been wanting to try the AC-10's since I got the bike. Even as bad as it looks in the picture, it would still grip enough to get the front tire up in just about any terrain. That was the 100-100-18 compared to the 110-100-18 AC-10.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice looking tire, thanks for the report.[8D]

Old 09-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats probably what i got out of the 606..... i thaught it would be more.... maybe ill try the TM II's...

Quick Reply: Michelin AC-10 Update