Metzler Unicross

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Metzler Unicross

Just passing along another DOT knobby option I came across in my never ending quest for the perfect tire. This tire replaced the Pirelli MT-16 that was previously on my bike which I would say is THE perfect tire (for the stuff I ride), if it weren't for its one imperfection and that being it is non-DOT approved.

So I searched around trying to find a similar tire to the MT-16 that was DOT and found the Metzler Unicross:

I rode with it this weekend in mostly sandy terrain and it did fine. There was some woods in there too and it worked great there. It really seems to hook up well and be very predictable, gives a lot of control in turns allowing good rear steer. So far, I'm liking this tire a lot.

It's not quite as nice as the MT-16, I measured the 120/90 Unicross to be 4.7 inches tread width and 4 inch sidewall to sidewall. Meanwhile the 120/100 MT-16 had a 5.5 inch tread width and 4.7 inches sidewall to sidewall. So the MT-16 is definitely wider, nearly an inch greater contact patch.

I really wish the MT-16 rear was DOT approved, I'd probably never buy another tire. The Unicross is the closest DOT tire to the MT-16 that I've found. Not sure about longevity yet, but longevity is really not what I'm looking for, I'd rather have a stickier softer compound and change it out more frequently than a harder slicker compound that doesn't stick as well in the rocks and roots. Then again, I don't spend much time on pavement, mostly just connecting trails.

And I think it is kind of funny that one of the bullet points in the Unicross description is: "* Classic Metzeler tread pattern for restoration projects."

Anyway, I found the tire to be very nice off-road. I'd like to find a wider size, but even if I can't, I will most likely buy this tire again. Just thought I'd pass this along. I know a lot of others are on the same quest as me, so here's another option to try if you haven't already.

BTW, I'm talking about the rear, I have not tried the front and don't plan to, I like the Pirelli Scorpion Pro up front.

And here's the MT-16 for comparison - I really like this tire, again talking about the rear. I was looking for a similar tread pattern to this and found the Unicross which is pretty close. If not for the difference in width, they would be nearly identical.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 03-25-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

NoBrakes,

Have you ever tried a tighter pattern like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/METZE...Q5fAccessories

They look great for the street, but not sure how they would perform in the dirt. Mine riding is mostly med to hard dirt with the occational sand patch that could be 100 yards long. I like to play in the mud but I am trying to be slippery when I go in there...

Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

No, never tried anything like that. I would be slipping all over the place with that one, and I personally wouldn't consider it for the type of riding I do. That would be a good tire for mostly pavement, but I basically want the best dirt tire I can get for my terrain, yet still be DOT. If DOT was not an issue, I would simply run a purely off-road tire - and the Pirelli MT-16 would be way up high on the list.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member

according to the metzeler website they make a 140 rear but I have no idea how to get one in the states?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmmmm here is a picture of the 606 I put on my bike back in the day, looks really close to the one above.

Name:  P4118871.jpg
Views: 4202
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  P4118870.jpg
Views: 5142
Size:  99.9 KB

Old 12-28-2011, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

here the breaker for me, how much dough for one of those. im really digging my trackmaster rear/ 908ff front combo, but if the price is right i might have to give those a shot.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

This is my favorite tyre and think its the best for where i ride... its a Bridgestone ED12 Gritty... its not DOT approved by I dont care....

"

Old 12-30-2011, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Who cares if it is DOT! If you find a tire that works for you and your riding style then go with it. Sounds like you need an off road tire and have found that in the MT16. DOT will be a compromise off road as you have found.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

That Unicross looks like a nice tyre. May have to wait as I've just fitted a new Pirelli MX eXtra 110/100-18 on the rear and I have 2 of the same stored in the garage. I really like the MX eXtra rear.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
Who cares if it is DOT! If you find a tire that works for you and your riding style then go with it. Sounds like you need an off road tire and have found that in the MT16. DOT will be a compromise off road as you have found.
Yeah, that's the conclusion I've come to. I still like the MT16, and use it regularly. My most recent tire was/is a Dunlop MX51 which was a local Cycle Gear impulse buy. I like it pretty well, don't have much time on it yet, time will tell.

Since then that opening post which seems like forever ago, my new favorite front tire is the Pirelli Scorpion MX MS. It also is non-dot. Same tread pattern as the DOT Scorpion Pro, but a softer sticker rubber compound and is the best front I've ever used, though it wears more quickly, but that's a trade-off I will take.

Deej, the Unicross is a lot different than the Dunlop 606. I had a 606 and couldn't get it off fast enough, I hated that tire for the dirt around here.