Memorial Day Weekend Ride and hike.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Memorial Day Weekend Ride and hike.

Memorial Day Weekend Ride and hike.

Bike Ride 5-26-12

A longtime friend (since 1st grade) just bought a 2002 DRZ400S. He is still getting used to it so we decided to go on an easy ride. We started out at my house and road to the Upper Pack River Drainage.

At 14 miles from the house we crossed the Pack River.

At 16 miles we took a small trail that was washed out from the spring runoff, still had a little water running down it. It was only .75 miles long before it ended. Sorry no pictures to busy riding.

At around 20 miles from the house we ran into some snow and had to turn around.

Found some bones from a winter kill. Looks like a Moose possibly killed by a pack of wolves. There where bones everywhere. Wolves a big problem around here. They are starting to migrate in to neighborhoods. I think I might get a wolf tag this year.

All in all we only did about 50 miles round trip. But it still was fun.

Here are some pictures from a hiking trip my wife and I did on 5-27-12. It is a 6 mile hike round trip. At the top there is an overlook of Lake Pend Oreille, pronounced “Ponderay”. It is the 13th deepest lake in the word. In the background is the city of Sandpoint ID. The Long Bridge is 2 miles long that crosses Pend Oreille Lake and marks the start of the Pend Oreille River. The last picture is of Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort with Sandpoint in the fore ground.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hiking???...cmott, this ain't the Sierra Club site here. We dirt bikers don't hike.

Seriously though, one of my gripes about many of the adventure rides and trips that I take is having to wear full-on MX style boots. There are lots of great, short hikes that I'd like to take occasionally just off the trail, but it really sucks to do it in real riding boots. I know there are more "walk-friendly" riding boots/shoes out there, but I've experienced trying to wear stout hiking shoes while riding decently rough rides and have occasionally paid for it. Even wearing full-on MX boots, I've nearly broken my ankle before. On trails that aren't so rough or technical in spots, the hiking boot deal can work, but I'm not usually on those trails.

Beautiful country there, cmott. I've been through parts of Idaho a couple of times. Though a little similar to Colorado, it has a different type of beauty to it. At about what elevation did you hit that snow? I noticed a little less snow on the rockies in CO and UT earlier this month on my UT trip that I posted.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Hiking???...cmott, this ain't the Sierra Club site here. We dirt bikers don't hike.

Beautiful country there, cmott. I've been through parts of Idaho a couple of times. Though a little similar to Colorado, it has a different type of beauty to it. At about what elevation did you hit that snow? I noticed a little less snow on the rockies in CO and UT earlier this month on my UT trip that I posted.
Funny... we got DUMPED on in the mountains Saturday and Sunday! SnoTel shows a good 10+ inches over those two days. It will be melted soon enough... but just when it was looking like it was all gone, we got a reminder from "Mom Nature" that it ain't over till she says so!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

We hit snow around 3000 feet is all.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
We hit snow around 3000 feet is all.
Heck, I LIVE at 4700 feet! I think it was around 6000+ that got all the snow here. Happy to say it's all gone already, except for the deep stuff that was up there before the storm hit.