MCM, Big bore & low end grunt

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

You will need to verify that your dyno shop's dyno has the AFR module - and that it is working properly. If so, then they should be quite capable of running your bike on the dyno and tweaking your AFR..

IMO, get your bike MCM'd and tuned as-is.. You should have as much off-idle TRQ as is possible to make with a mod combo on a 351..

Future mods would be adding a megabomb/powerbomb and another retune..

Old 09-25-2018, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I seriously doubt that Bill has actually tested MCM with a 351 - or any of his kits.. He is speaking from the pain of the "event" previously noted - as his 351 kit also suffered from its' share of that blame game fest.

I'm done editing my last two posts - please re-read them.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Once BIll verifies stock clearances and you decide to try MCM , please know that your engine can be fully tested for safe operation before you ever re-install the spark plug - All MCM sessions should culminate with extensive pre-startup testing - starting with hand turning the engine 2 revolutions ..

Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, got an answer. He used a stock piston to help design the 351 (didn’t mention 331) so he said they should clear but mentioned several ppl have damaged their pistons and valves doing the mod. Also mentioned I could clay the piston to see if it will clear. That would definitely be playing it safe but I would need a new gasket. Anyone know if you can you only get gaskets from him or directly from Cometic?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
Ok, got an answer. He used a stock piston to help design the 351 (didn’t mention 331) so he said they should clear but mentioned several ppl have damaged their pistons and valves doing the mod. Also mentioned I could clay the piston to see if it will clear. That would definitely be playing it safe but I would need a new gasket. Anyone know if you can you only get gaskets from him or directly from Cometic?

It's possible someone has a used gasket in their parts bin they could let you use. I may have one.

I don't recall of anyone mentioning obtaining gaskets directly from Cometic. It would be good if someone would find out and get part numbers. As with all of us, Bill won't be around forever

Last edited by IDRIDR; 10-03-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
What you may not know is the reason we have no data on BB's and the MCM - The "event" that occurred long ago whereby a member performed all mods all at once -including the 351 and MCM only to lose his engine to catastrophic failure. This had a profound effect on testing BB's with the MCM - ceasing all such testing.. I joined just in time to be able to read and analyze this event. It was hilarious/tragic/moronic how everyone blamed everything on his engine failure - including the MCM - when the actual fact was that he ran his bike "hard and fast" hundred(s) of miles with no issues, prior to failure ! This event was, thankfully, erased from the forum- the low-IQ mob mentality that permutated the forum surrounding this was disgusting - In all fairness, there were a few (back then) that tried to bring some realism to the discussion. Nonetheless, MCM + BB took a big "hit" with those peeps back then.. In recent years, I was able to have this member respond to a discussion I was having about the safety of MCM + BB. Verifying that he ran the bike for some hours - before the failure - verifying safe piston-to-valve clearances along with David R 's long running experiment..
Was this Jhoffy's event you speak of? I don't recall one being erased from the forum.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...se-pics-35945/

Last edited by IDRIDR; 10-03-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 10-03-2018, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Well well.. I couldn't find those threads - and reference to them in the MCM thread HAVE been deleted..

I read the first little bit on each - reminded me of the moronic blame-fest I remembered... He had run his bike - apparently hard - for several days before the failure, TNC pointed this out early on that such means the MCM should not be suspect..

He was running his bike super lean - a DJ132 main jet - and at high RPM's - which, for me, is pretty much a "wrap" on what happened..

Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't follow the MCM thread so that makes sense. If Bill knows about other failures besides Jhoffy's, it would be nice to hear from them first hand. We've seen DavidR ran the MCM on 351 without failure, and Jhoffy ran for a while with a failure that doesn't appear MCM related.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I didn't follow the MCM thread so that makes sense. If Bill knows about other failures besides Jhoffy's, it would be nice to hear from them first hand. We've seen DavidR ran the MCM on 351 without failure, and Jhoffy ran for a while with a failure that doesn't appear MCM related.

EXACTLY !!!!

But research David R's bike - his weird home-made mod combo means that his posted results are unusable..