Making the KLX250s more slab friendly

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Making the KLX250s more slab friendly

I've done all the power related mods, (DJ Stage 2, FMF q4, air filter, remove snorkel) and I think the KLX now has adequate power. After a trip or two on the freeway, I've noticed the front end really starts to get goofy above about 70mph indicated (feels light and twitchy). The power mods along with a 15t sprocket should make it easily bump along somewhere in the 7k range, which is almost sane. My goal is to be able to do 25-30 miles on the freeway and not have to pull pieces of the seat out of my backside after the ride due to the pucker

Are there any easy mods for the front end being twitchy, such as adjustments for the front suspension to make it understeer a bit, or not be so sensitive? I'm trying to decide whether or not to mess with, or just get a road bike (in addition to it). Anybody done this?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

A few thoughts:
Check balance on the front wheel. It could be a little out of balance which may make it awkward at higher speeds.

Set the forks down a little in the triple tree clamp (hey experts - is this the correct suggestion? Set them up to turn quicker or when balancing for a lowered rear, or down to make it a little more stable, which could also result in it "pushing" more in loose track conditions.)

Get the road bike too

Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I slid my forks down to where the cap meets the fork. Adds stability.

TRY different rear sag settings. A small change seems to affect the bike quite a bit.

I went with the seat concepts foam and cover for $159.00? Well worth it!

David

Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Add mudflaps......I dont know if it will help, but it does give it that old school look that is always a crowd pleaser. LOL

Name:  IMG00463-20110323-0743.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  105.4 KB

Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Also...

I put new valves in the forks. It made it ride MUCH smoother over potholes at high speeds. It used to jar me now its uneventful.

Stiffer Springs

Buy an SF

Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

On gravel with mine it does that unstable thing above 60 or so. It's just very quick steering and twicthy. Not so much on black top. I'd think if I was going to fix it on my bike I'd lower the rear a tad. This would tend to slow the steering down some so it's what I'd try first on mine. Small changes can have big effects, On mine if I fixed it I'd just go faster and I don't really need any help with that.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I hear you I dont want to go fast.. its addictive.. if you want, try getting a little more of a street tire for the front.. that helps too

Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Add mudflaps......I dont know if it will help, but it does give it that old school look that is always a crowd pleaser. LOL

Needs more mudflaps? Chicks will dig the mudflaps?
heheh

Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R
I hear you I dont want to go fast.. its addictive.. if you want, try getting a little more of a street tire for the front.. that helps too
On the freeway, I'd love to just go slower, but I'd be dead from the SUVs going over the top of me at 75 In Northern California freeway = raceway, but with everybody sending TXT messages, checking their makeup, and having a snack. Be careful out there.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Sit farther forward. Most people sit too far back. Get up close to that tank.

Quick Reply: Making the KLX250s more slab friendly