Making the HMF a little quieter (shhh)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Making the HMF a little quieter (shhh)

So tonight we're playing around with the HMF with quiet core that I picked up recently. We turned the quiet core around and pointed it backwards. Doesn't look the greatest, but it sure is noticeably quieter than going in the right direction. I'm thinking with a little mod work, ala some recent posts on a threaded 3/4" pipe into the stock muffler, we can take this down a few more dbs. Has anyone else tried this? I couldn't find any...

Name:  1228102115.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  124.8 KB

Old 12-29-2010, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member

HMF's are known to be loud pipes. Why would you want a loud free flowing pipe (that may or may not increase performance) then work to stuff it up?

Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Savage
HMF's are known to be loud pipes. Why would you want a loud free flowing pipe (that may or may not increase performance) then work to stuff it up?
Only for around-town riding when there's just no need to attract needless attention from those whose job it is to serve and protect - they have enough to do without worrying about me. On the trail - open her up and let it rip.

I also think that from other's posts, it must be possible to quiet things down a little while also keeping most of the flow and performance. It's winter, and there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot better things to do than fiddle with the farkles.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I can agree with fiddlin w/farkles!
But around town you can just upshift early and not "get on the pipe".
My Yoshimura 450 is loud, but when the cops are around I just upshift to quiet'r down.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Savage
I can agree with fiddlin w/farkles!
But around town you can just upshift early and not "get on the pipe".
My Yoshimura 450 is loud, but when the cops are around I just upshift to quiet'r down.
I'm not always so good with staying out of the throttle. And if I knew the coppers were around, I suppose I would have never received any of my speeding tickets . Something about them always being where I don't expect them.

I suppose its more about fiddling and finding out what can be done. Changing a plug on the HMF is a lot simpler than taking the stock pipe on and off.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Sell it for FMF Q4?!

My Q4 is pretty damn quiet when I'm not hammering on it.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmmm my Muzzy is loud or quiet depending on how much I roll on the throttle. But in 5 years none of the cops have even looked in my direction......well except in wondering why a dirtbike is on the streets.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sorry but everything reminds me of something else...I guess that must be the ADD or ADHD or WD-40 or whatever its called.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ht=Park+Ranger

Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Resurrection!
I recently installed an HMF slip on and love the sound, however it may be a little loud at times. I was wanting to do a sponsored dual sport ride soon but the site says they have a strict 96db policy. Just playing it by ear I think the HMF is louder than that!! Does the quiet core (not installed backwards ha) bring it close to that level?? can you tell a noticeable difference with or without the quiet core?

Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

have the hmf quiet core only for riding instructions...they have strict noise restrictions...i have to adjust the air/fuel screw when i use it...all the quiet core does is dramatically reduce the size of the exhaust exit hole to reduce noise...it'll brings the noise level down enough to meet noise requirements....and, if you put it on backwards, that means you are not using the spark arrestor screen?...or, do you put that on backwards too?

Last edited by ahnh666; 05-03-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Making the HMF a little quieter (shhh)