Making the 09 "darker"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Making the 09 "darker"

I really love the Japanese spec version of this bike. Has anyone experimented with replacing all the plastic with black? I think I saw someone with a black and gray version that looked pretty sweet.

How would I go about repainting the bike myself? Would some flat black spraypaint with a gloss overcoat work?

I think I read somewhere that you can also black out the frame, but that may be overkill for me at the moment as I'd have to strip everything off the bike. I know there are entire plastic kits on motostrano.com for around $180, but I'm trying to save a little money on the looks department and spend it on the jet kit and exhuast upgrades.

I'd start by replacing the fork guards with black ones and get some black handguards. Then paint the rear guards black.

Is painting this stuff myself just a bad idea? Anyone else think it'd look cool to have a brand-less, blacked out klx250s tearing up the trails/streets?

Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Jess, no ned to rejet if it's an AUS spec KLX250H7. You already have a #132 main jet and a #35 pilot. Just remove the snorkle, re-oil the OE air filter, and set the fuel screw properly. You can raise the needle too, if you fit a new pipe.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
I really love the Japanese spec version of this bike. Has anyone experimented with replacing all the plastic with black? I think I saw someone with a black and gray version that looked pretty sweet.

How would I go about repainting the bike myself? Would some flat black spraypaint with a gloss overcoat work?

I think I read somewhere that you can also black out the frame, but that may be overkill for me at the moment as I'd have to strip everything off the bike. I know there are entire plastic kits on motostrano.com for around $180, but I'm trying to save a little money on the looks department and spend it on the jet kit and exhuast upgrades.

I'd start by replacing the fork guards with black ones and get some black handguards. Then paint the rear guards black.

Is painting this stuff myself just a bad idea? Anyone else think it'd look cool to have a brand-less, blacked out klx250s tearing up the trails/streets?
I'd steer clear of painting the plastics. You'll scratch it off the first time the bike takes a spill and it'll look like crap.

Mike

Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
I'd steer clear of painting the plastics. You'll scratch it off the first time the bike takes a spill and it'll look like crap.

Mike
Yeah, that cheap "chipped fingernail" look. Good point. Damn.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
I know there are entire plastic kits on motostrano.com for around $180, but
Ok I looked at the moto site and could find no plastics for the klx.....what do you know ... post it up.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Ok I looked at the moto site and could find no plastics for the klx.....what do you know ... post it up.
http://www.motostrano.com/bodywork.html

Old 08-05-2008, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Bro that is standard issue plastic we all know about, and all that will fit the klx is the front fender and fork guards for a kx125/250.

A Maier klx300 rear will fit our klx but the rad shrouds will not....unless you get a klx300 tank like I did.

I thought you had some new info. There is no kit for the klx.....unless you go to Japan or Aus.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:16 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...754&highlight=

Mark made it look easy, and the bike turned out great!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah marks bike looks badazz... I would like to do something to mine as well but I guess we will have to just wait

Old 08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Bro that is standard issue plastic we all know about, and all that will fit the klx is the front fender and fork guards for a kx125/250.

A Maier klx300 rear will fit our klx but the rad shrouds will not....unless you get a klx300 tank like I did.

I thought you had some new info. There is no kit for the klx.....unless you go to Japan or Aus.
Oh OK sorry bout that. Any chance of ordering the plastic from down under or the far eastside?

Quick Reply: Making the 09 "darker"