make up for lost top end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default make up for lost top end?

lets say if i was to get a front sprocket that everyone on here is recommending for more acceleration and low range power...this will make the bike lose top end speed, right? so right now, for instance, bone stock, my bike will hit around 80MPH tops, no way i'd cruise at anything more than 65 on this beast, but it can stillget to 80 if u want....ok, so after the addition of hte front sprocket, what can i expect my top speed to be? would i lose more than 10 MPH's off top end? FINALLY, will getting the FMF powerbomb header that is set up for more mid to high range power(they also have one that is set up for low to mid range power), make back up the lost top end speed?

AND, do you think I'd be happy with just a new front sprocket, header, and and rejet?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I went with a 46 tooth rear because I don't ride above 60MPH true road speed except for brief period on the highway. This bumped up rev's about 500RPM everywhere. This makes 6th gear more usable in real world riding. Top speed changes? I don't really know because I stop before I run out of throttle and yes, I have hit 80MPH. With stock gearing, how many RPMs can you pull anyway?

Before you to a sprocket change, do the free mods. This improves response everywhere. Then spend the ~$35 on a new rear sprocket and whatever it costs to get a new 108 link chain and enjoy.

I routinely do distance at 50MPH true ground speed and have good power for tough off road riding.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

sid post, so you you're saying that you would routinely cruise at 50mph, right? with the sprocket would i be able to cruise at 60mph at like, say 6k?

also, with the free mods and sprocket and chain, would i be able to snap the thorttle in first and second and make the front end stand way up?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

like you know how when your bike was bone stock, and you snapped the throtle in first, the front end would kinda pull up a little...but after the free mods and sprocket would a throttle snap in first gear make the front end come all the way up?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kpwestmo
sid post, so you you're saying that you would routinely cruise at 50mph, right? with the sprocket would i be able to cruise at 60mph at like, say 6k?

also, with the free mods and sprocket and chain, would i be able to snap the thorttle in first and second and make the front end stand way up?
With stock gearing it will pull 60mph (on the speedo) around 6,000 rpm with the 13 front it's approx 6,700 rpm.

If you are good enough you can wheelstand anything. If you just sit on the bike and open the throttle, then no.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
1st Gear Member

kpwestmo, id just like to point out that u lose not topend, but top speed(with the gearing) topend is power of the upper rev range, top speed is when your bike reachs it maxium speed, due to hitting the rev limiter or ristance equaling the power of the bike.

you will lose top speed due to the lower gear, you will not lose power.

with chooseing a pipe, i would go with the lower end power pipe, just because peak power is 8500rpm, anything over that is wasting time so putting the pipe on to gain power over that i would think that it is pointless

just my 2cents

Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member

For what it's worth, you will only notice a drop in top speed if the bike could pull top rpm in top gear with stock gearing.
I did not notice a significant drop in top speed when I dropped to 13 teeth on the counter sprocket.
It allowed it to rev higher making up for the shorter gearing.
As Mav points out, it will rev higher at any given speed so it's not ideal for cruising.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

whats you tops speed neil, mines 132kph

Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Topped 145kmh on stock 14/42 gearing. Passed 120 quite a few times while off road on local fire trails, 13/45 gearing.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
whats you tops speed neil, mines 132kph
Good question.
I don't really know as it isn't something I've been to concerned about.
Something over 130?
I'll give it a blast next time out.

Quick Reply: make up for lost top end?