Make a ims 3 gallon tank fit 06 klx250s???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your reply! I knew going into this post not everyone can weld or aluminum at that. But I think someone could probably use unistrut or rig something up for the fans from a local hardware store. The fans were 80mm x80mm x 20mm. The tank is very nice I'll admit. Kinda goofy looking if I'm going to be honest but she works. I have not had any over heating issues. I did test them to make sure they are running properly.

Last edited by Weldingseabee; 09-04-2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Weldingseabee

I recommend a petcock that has nipple on the left so the fuel line can bend without kinking to reach fuel inlet on carb. The petcock for the klx300 still hasn't come in so i used my old klr250 one and it fit perfect.

Disconnect harness all the way to tail lights on both sides that run down side of frame. Also snake the coolant overflow down the exhaust side of frame and hook around behind airbox with all the wires for tailights etc then to underneath battery box up to resevoir. It will be very close be sure to use a clamp.

Trim off the hook that was under my stubby finger. Not the throttle cables Goober! I used this insulation tape stuff (I forgot what it's called) to help cushion the tank and support it some. I ended up putting some on the top side where the tank could come in contact with frame.

Where wire harness meets break off the hook.

Move this out of way for now. Will have to mount somewhere else.

Will have to make some tabs that go up about an inch or two to mount coil. There is a recess in the ims tank that it should fit and still have some clearance. This tank is a very tight fit so I used some cherry flavored lubricant and greased up the slides. With a little love and some wiggling she slid into place. I will also note there is a hose clamp for the radiator crossover that I had to reposition because the head of the bolt on the hose clamp rubbed the front of tank.

Keep harness nice and tucked in to frame

Same on this side. Radiator overflow hose going back behind airbox to battery box to resevoir.

Klx300 or klr250 petcock works.

What she looks like mocked up.

Notice the nipple swivels which should help keep clear of carb. I have noticed the damn tps sensor is in way of the petcock nipple. Even with it being able to manipulate the nipple its a tight fit. Might have to attach hose and clamp first before installing tank.
This is quite a project! I like your logical methodical approach.
Do you think there will be any heat issues with the bottom of the tank being so close to the top of the head?

Old 09-05-2023, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

There is about 1/2" gap between tank and cover. I took a long ride with my buddy out in the corn fields the other day. I didn't think to check in the moment. Too busy chasing a yz250 around. 😆 I'll report back if I believe it to be an issue or any further mods dealing with the tank.

Old 09-05-2023, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Weldingseabee
There is about 1/2" gap between tank and cover. I took a long ride with my buddy out in the corn fields the other day. I didn't think to check in the moment. Too busy chasing a yz250 around. 😆 I'll report back if I believe it to be an issue or any further mods dealing with the tank.
That may be enough. It's an advantage that your engine is liquid cooled. An air cooled engine typically has fins on the top to get rid of the heat.

You might try a laying in a small square of fiberglass insulation at the bottom of the tank if it gets too hot. That stuff is impervious to heat and has really good insulating properties. Even better might be some reflective foil heating duct tape on the bottom of the tank. Heat is light, which makes a reflective surface very effective at preventing heat from penetrating. The plastic cover on the inside of the exhaust side of my KLX is lined with a thin reflective foil mat which keeps it from melting. Actually anything reflective on one side and adhesive on the other would work great.

Last edited by tooter; 09-05-2023 at 04:37 PM.