Maintence?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Default Maintence?

I have looked through my owners manual and everythign and looked up on here some stuff but is there ne specific maintence things that need to be done I just turned over 800 miles tonight and everythign seems to be good and nuthing hurt?
I know a post I heard about the valves being checked @ 600? and I dind't know when the oil should be cnaged and what specific oil or if you could use synthetic? just some minor?'s if ne body could respond thanks

Old 06-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Default RE: Maintence?

as far as the valve issue goes, there are mixed opinions. according to kawi, it's not required at 600, but some people have checked and found adjustments required. i think ill wait until around 1500 miles to check mine. there are some write ups on how to do it yourself if you search. the cost of a shim kit is a little pricey though. around $75 i think?
as far as oil goes, its supposed to be changed initially at 600 but most change sooner bc off road riding is harder on your engine than just cruising around on the street. plus it only holds around 1.4 quarts so its cheap. i think im going to change mine every 500 miles or so. i use a oem kawi filter and amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil. its only about $6 a quart which is very cheap for synthetic. i think regular kawchem is at least $3.50 a quart. dont use regular car oil as it is not compatible with a motorcycles wet clutch set up and can cause clutch slip and damage. keith