Lowering Options....what's best

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Question Lowering Options....what's best

Hi Everyone
I have a '09 KLX250 and am finding it a bit tall. I'm about 5'7 and with riding boots I'm on my toes.
I would like to lower the bike but not sure what option is the best:
Lower the bike with lowering links 1.5 - 2 inches
or
Shave the seat out???

I know that to prevent tampering with the suspension people opt to shave the seat. Is this just a personal preference or is one way better then another

Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I would opt for lowering links and dropping the front forks. The seat is a tad harsh as it is and shaving would make it even worse.

At 5'6" I used to the seat height. When I was learning, I stopped on occasional inclines and put my foot is some low spots which caused me to lay my bike down but, it was a good learning experience. Now, the only time I find it a real problem is going off road in really harsh terrain.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I went the hole hog and had the suspension "properly" lowered.
I have since ordered stiffer springs for the front.

Here is the full report on my lowering experience.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=22655

Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

How new is the bike? My suspension became softer and a bit lower after it was used a bit. I am only 5'6" and I have no problems touching the ground.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
I would opt for lowering links and dropping the front forks. The seat is a tad harsh as it is and shaving would make it even worse.

At 5'6" I used to the seat height. When I was learning, I stopped on occasional inclines and put my foot is some low spots which caused me to lay my bike down but, it was a good learning experience. Now, the only time I find it a real problem is going off road in really harsh terrain.
+1.

Trixie.

First off, welcome here.

Shaving a stock seat would turn a board into a rock. Ouch.

I'm with Sid on this one. At 5'7" it took me a little while to feel comfortable on my '07, still can't two-sided flat foot it at rest but it doesn't bother me in the least. I say ride the bike for a few hundred miles and if it still feels too tall just lower it. Neil had it done properly and seems to be quite happy with the results.

Either way, just ride it....

Last edited by Xerxes; 06-18-2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: spleling
Old 06-18-2009, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

[quote=Xerxes;380010] Neil had it done properly and seems to be quite happy with the results. [quote]

A couple of things worth mentioning.

1. I'm only 5'4"

2. The KLX for me is an off road bike. If I rode mainly on the road or on easy tracks, I wouldn't have gone to that extent. There are times on steep, technical trails were I need to put a foot down. Before I lowered the bike it was a real pain in the rear end. Literally

If I was 5'7" I think raising the forks, the most you can go is about 15mm, and links for the rear to match.

I wouldn't rule out shaving the seat but that would be a last resort.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Trixie,

What type of riding do you do? As Neil mentions, if you are doing hard-core single track trails, then a good suspension lowering job is really needed.

If you are riding forest service roads and similar back road places with local commutes included, ride it stock for the break in period and pay attention to where you stop so one of the wheels doesn't end up on a rise or your foot doesn't end up in hole.

Modify your motorcycle after you have enough time in the saddle to really understand what you are changing, why, and what the modification will do for you. I resisted the urge to modify the heck out my motorcycle all at once so I would really learn what each change did (good or bad). It took more time to get everything done but, I avoided a lot of mistakes along the way and have a much better ride for my efforts.

For the suspension, the only significant change I made was to put in higher rate springs in the front forks to stop the nose dive on hard braking. This was an easy mod that took about the same amount of effort as an engine oil change and cost ~$85 and a 1/2 hour of my time.

My next mod will be to fix the seat so I can sit on it longer. This will most likely result in a taller seat with slightly firmer foam.

Best Regards,
Sid