Lowering links question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I just installed 1" lowering links from Burkhart on my 09. Seat height wasn't my issue, I have a 50 series tire on the rear which is an 1" taller than stock and was causing a high speed front end wobble at about 70 mph indicated. With the lowering link I still have a wobble but it doesn't start until about 80 indicated, next it's time to balance the front and rear tires see if that gets ride of the wobble.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 AM
1st Gear Member

This is what im using and i can lower and raise the bike for any kind of riding i want to do

Soupys Performance, Motorcycle Lowering Kits, Motorcycle Raising Links

Old 05-21-2013, 03:16 PM

If you lower the bike in just the rear, how does this affect handling?

I can lower the front fork but only 1/4" or so until it hits the bar. Should I just lower the rear 1.5"?

Last edited by kntr; 05-21-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kntr
If you lower the bike in just the rear, how does this affect handling?

I can lower the front fork but only 1/4" or so until it hits the bar.
to lower the front you need to get handle bar riser i know a guy that pushed his fork tubes up 1.5"

yes you should keep them the same but if you lower the back more then the front you lose your steering it will act more like a chopper

correct me if im wrong please

Old 05-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by zippets
to lower the front you need to get handle bar riser i know a guy that pushed his fork tubes up 1.5"

yes you should keep them the same but if you lower the back more then the front you lose your steering it will act more like a chopper

correct me if im wrong please
Ok. That's what I was thinking.

What is the max you can lower the rear without causing problems? I see they make kits for 1" to 4".

Is there anything else that needs to be adjusted when you lower the bike? What about the kickstand?

edit: I read in a few threads that after you lower the rear you have to increase preload on the shock or even replace the spring. Wouldn't that just raise the seat height right back up?

Maybe I should just take the seat in and have them shave a few inches off the foam.

Last edited by kntr; 05-21-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kntr
Ok. That's what I was thinking.

What is the max you can lower the rear without causing problems? I see they make kits for 1" to 4".

Is there anything else that needs to be adjusted when you lower the bike? What about the kickstand?

edit: I read in a few threads that after you lower the rear you have to increase preload on the shock or even replace the spring. Wouldn't that just raise the seat height right back up?

Maybe I should just take the seat in and have them shave a few inches off the foam.

no it would not raise the seat height back up when you lower the bike it also changes the leverage that the frame attaches to the shock this is why you need to change the spring tension ( like if you where seating all the way towards the back of the bike)

soupys also sells adjustable kick stands but depending on how far you want to lower the bike look at seat concepts they are probley one of the most comfy seats around and lowers your seating position 1-1.5" and you can ride hundreds of miles without monkey butt

i'm using both because of the ajustbilty of the links this wat you don't have to lower the front much

Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been racing harescrambles since 1995 on various brands, the latest was a 450 GasGas. I think the klx250 turns just as good if not better in the woods. Forks are even with the top clamp, 1" lower in the rear and the bike rides fine.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I just did the opposite:

purchased stock lengths from burkhart cycle, and put the bike back to stock.
Wow! this thing is setting high.....i like it

had the KLX4 links from KoubaLink. so it was 2" lower than stock, i thought i liked them but went back to stock.
now i have to figure out how to add some inches to the kick stand