Lowering ......?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:33 AM
Default Lowering ......?

Ok, so I figured that the klx is the most dirt worthy dual sport. However, I a short/small chick (5'3" 125# to be exact). I know that it is possible to lower the bike via kouba links, but my question is - I will probably be doing jumps/whoops and want to know if having the bike lowered would cause damage or be damaging in the longrun?

PS
Im new and enjoy reading ya'lls posts. Very....um.....entertaining

Old 09-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Default RE: Lowering ......?

no, lowering will not damage your bike.

crashing? well thats another story....

just don't ride over your head.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I don't think you have to worry about any damage - several folks in another forum have lowered the KLX250S with Kouba links with no problems. One fella used both lowering links and also shaved the seat for his wife and it seemed to work out very well. You might want to get some handlebar risers at the same time so that you can lower the front suspension in the triple clamps to help keep the stock geometry, though. Otherwise, the back would be lowered, but not the front and that might make the goemetry too weird / unstable.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Have you got your bike yet? Post some pics when you get a chance.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 AM
1st Gear Member

G'day and welcome, as Brian (nobrakes) said it won't damage anything but you will probably need risers so you can lower the front to make the handling right after lowering the back. The other point is once you lower the bike you will have less suspension travel so make sure you setup the suspension properly. Have a look here for hints and tips.

Cheers

p.s. Brian did an post about cutting foam out of his seat it's here

Old 09-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey! welcome to the board! I think crashd3 is the first klx chick here!!! i wondered when we were gonna get one!!!!! lol

Old 09-26-2006, 03:58 PM

fyi the suzuki dr650 has a lowering kit direct from suzuki bringing it down to a 33" seat. (specs right on it's web site)

i know i know it's a heavy bike compared to klx.
btw has anyone driven the drz400sm? those fat juicy tires sure look sweet...

Old 09-26-2006, 04:30 PM

crashd3,

You're probably one of the only ones here that's light enough to get all there is out of the KLX250S without suspension mods like heavier rate springs and such.

However, if you are going to jump the bike, you might want to seriously consider taking the suspension setup to someone that is a pro. A properly setup suspension does not hurt the bike nor rider when doing things like you want to do. The bike stays riding on the spring pressure. When you bottom out is when you hurt yourself and other parts of the bike.

With the basic mod package, the KLX250S with you aboard should be able to fly!

Where are you from in the northwest part of Florida? We will be having a "get together" up near Crawfordsville in January. We'll be riding the Apalachicola National Forest trails along with some really fantastic single track exploring. We stay in a YMCA camp - women on one side, guys on the other - for $8 a night with breakfast (coffee and munchies) and dinner (gumbo, chili and hot dogs) thrown in for good measure. Hopefully a lot of the KLX riders from this forum will come up and join us this year. We only had 2 KLX250Ss in attendance last year. Of course they got lots of attention from all the KLR folks there!

Old 09-26-2006, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Only thing to consider when lowering is that on bottoming of the suspension, you are actually bringing the tire closer to the fender... E.g. when you lower the fork tubes in the triple clamps, you reduce the clearance from fender to rubber. On bottoming, you might find that they touch. You don't want the ***** on the tires geting caught on say the fender bolts for example.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

nothing but bad things could happen from that
ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

Only thing to consider when lowering is that on bottoming of the suspension, you are actually bringing the tire closer to the fender... E.g. when you lower the fork tubes in the triple clamps, you reduce the clearance from fender to rubber. On bottoming, you might find that they touch.
You don't want the ***** on the tires geting caught on say the fender bolts for example.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:18 PM

Only girl, huh? Awesome!

Unfortunately I havent gotten the bike yet. I am forcing myself to wait till I graduate college in December (Yeah!!). Then when I get a job I might even consider getting a brand spankin new bike. ( Its so hard waiting though)

You guys are just, literally, full of info. ( Dont forget Im new so, lamence terms please [sm=dontgetit.gif] )

You don't want the ***** on the tires geting caught on say the fender bolts for example.

^Hehe, ya'll are bad.

Oh, and to answer someone's question, I am in Pensacola. Hope to be riding the trails on the Eglin AFB reservation in Niceville (hence needing a street legal bike).

Quick Reply: Lowering ......?