Looky at what came today ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Looky at what came today ...

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

It may take a little effort to fit it, and if I get the big bore all done and am struggling with fitting the carb, chances are good that I will put the old carb back on and enjoy the 330 kit while I figure out the carb fitment.

The only issue I can see on the carb is that the throttle cable bracket looks like it might interfere with the frame cross support. But I won't know for sure until I get the cylinder and head back on and see how everything lines up. If all it takes is a little grinding of the throttle bracket, I'll do that. But if it looks like I might be a while fabricating something, then back on goes the CVK. So if that happens, you'll get your report. But I hope you don't.
Thanks....... I Think..........

Old 10-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreenKLX
You shouldn't have any problems with fitment. I do think you will have some jetting issues though, the FCR is extremely finicky to set up, but once you get it right, you will love your new wheelie machine! I highly suggest you take this down time to do the taffy mod, as well as take the thing apart to check it out and see what jets you have in it. Very good decision on the FCR!!!
Here is a link about the FCR on a klx with some great info, including info on the taffy mod.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...highlight=fork
Hey, thanks for that link, GreenKLX - lots of good stuff there!

EDIT: just to add a bit to your other comment, Jerry at FSW sent a sheet with the installed jet sizes and air and fuel screw positions. Looks like they match pretty closely with what Bill_P there at ThumperTalk reported in that thread with the exception of pilot and the fuel screw. His 62 but wants to go to 58, mine is at 55 (if I'm reading Jerry's writing correctly). His fuel screw is 1/4 to 1/2 out but says he'll go to 2 out after 58 pilot. Mine says 1 1/2 out, that's with the smaller 55 pilot. So I think that sounds reasonable as a starting point.

If these settings don't work or I'm struggling with tuning, I plan to take it to a place with experience and get some help.

By the way Bill_P describes what it did for his bike, I think I'm going to be extremely happy with this setup.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bad Bear

Hey Brian that carb sure is nice you will have some yuneing to do now
I'm still down in WV cold here I'll be home sunday ........
Wow you've been there for a good while now - are getting some riding in? Stay warm, WV can get a bit chilly this time of year, especially at night, brrrrrr.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:05 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreenKLX
You shouldn't have any problems with fitment. I do think you will have some jetting issues though, the FCR is extremely finicky to set up, but once you get it right, you will love your new wheelie machine! I highly suggest you take this down time to do the taffy mod, as well as take the thing apart to check it out and see what jets you have in it. Very good decision on the FCR!!!
Here is a link about the FCR on a klx with some great info, including info on the taffy mod.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...highlight=fork
Hey, thanks for that link, GreenKLX - lots of good stuff there!

EDIT: just to add a bit to your other comment, Jerry at FSW sent a sheet with the installed jet sizes and air and fuel screw positions. Looks like they match pretty closely with what Bill_P there at ThumperTalk reported in that thread with the exception of pilot and the fuel screw. His 62 but wants to go to 58, mine is at 55 (if I'm reading Jerry's writing correctly). His fuel screw is 1/4 to 1/2 out but says he'll go to 2 out after 58 pilot. Mine says 1 1/2 out, that's with the smaller 55 pilot. So I think that sounds reasonable as a starting point.

If these settings don't work or I'm struggling with tuning, I plan to take it to a place with experience and get some help.

By the way Bill_P describes what it did for his bike, I think I'm going to be extremely happy with this setup.
I think the boys at FSW know what they are doing.

I was thinking of putting the FCR's on my Duke and they assurred me that they ship them jetted and ready to go.
Give them the model etc and that's it.
Plug and play.

I think it was those guys anyway..

Old 10-13-2006, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice! Makes me want to buy one right now, but that would be jumping the gun just a bit.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

I can't wait to try it out. But alas, I'm only 1 week in to a 2 week wait for my cylinder parts to arrive. I reckon I'll be installing both at the same time. I'm curious as to what each mod (carb & 330cc big bore) does on its own, but not curious enough to put the CV carb on instead of this one for testing the 330cc by itself. Besides, based on my experience with the 300cc, I'm pretty sure I know what the 330cc is going to do.
Brian,

Hey, what are friends for?

Just send the carb down this way and I'll work out the bugs for you.

Then when you get the bike back up and running, your carb will not cause a problem.

Besides, you do want to run a "BEFORE" and "AFTER" test session after the 330 kit install!

Aww, that's what I was going offer. Hows this, I will even pay shipping....Both ways. [sm=icon_sneaky.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Congrats on the carb. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:09 PM

It may take a little effort to fit it, and if I get the big bore all done and am struggling with fitting the carb, chances are good that I will put the old carb back on and enjoy the 330 kit while I figure out the carb fitment.

The only issue I can see on the carb is that the throttle cable bracket looks like it might interfere with the frame cross support. But I won't know for sure until I get the cylinder and head back on and see how everything lines up. If all it takes is a little grinding of the throttle bracket, I'll do that. But if it looks like I might be a while fabricating something, then back on goes the CVK. So if that happens, you'll get your report. But I hope you don't.

Nobrakes,

Why not take the time to put the CVK back on the bike with the 330 kit and see how it runs. Then once you have the bike running - it should be really close on jetting - the way you hope it to run, put the FCR carb on and see the difference.

This way when you tell us, "Oh My God! The difference is like night and day! I can't believe the bike is that much better with the FCR carb!" and similar statements that FSW will be getting a lot of calls.

Maybe we can do a "Group Buy" ?

I mean you will have us all on the ropes - take advantage of the position!

Old 10-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

We'll see. I'll make a last minute decision while I'm finishing up reassembling my engine top end. Maybe I'll put the CV back on just to break in the new cylinder.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:38 AM

If its any help to anyone, Bill has had a 331 and a 340 kit on his KLX's with CVK's, and he says he would take his 300 with the FCR over any big bore with the stock CVK. Its that big of a difference. All I can say about the carbs is that I put a Mikuni TM33 on my KLX and it seemed to gain a whole lot of off throttle snap, and a little power off the bottom. Now a Have a FCR, and it has even more snap, and more power everywhere.

EDIT: I just read your post on TT, I figured you would see this here first. If you do run into clearance issues, you have a few options that I can think of off. If you look at the Mikuni TM33 intallation guide on planetklx, it shows a tab on the motor head stay that you have to trim for clearance, this may help. Also, if that doesn't work, It looks like the 300 and 250s have different air boxes and boots, you could try to swap the boots, or the entire box/boot.