Looking for a good, complete tool set.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Looking for a good, complete tool set.

Just doing some shopping around for a new tool set. Preferably Craftsman. Snap On is a little out of my budget most likely.

I found this one here so far:
Craftsman 260 pc. Mechanics Tool Set with 3-Drawer Flip-Top Blow Mold

Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I took a look at that set. It sounds like a good deal, but you will only ever use a fraction of those tools and may even be missing some items you will need. They didn't give any details. Trouble is buying what you really need one by one will come out to more.
I like 6 point sockets used with a fine tooth ratchet. That kit is probably all 12 point with coarse tooth ratchets.
With all that work you've done on the KLX you should have a pretty good idea which sockets you need. Not that many; most can be normal depth, a few sizes you might need as deep.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 07-26-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: schpellin
Old 07-26-2011, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

craftsman tools give me warts

Nothing but Snap On.

Naaa I just bought the good stuff because I knew I would be doing this all my life.

There is no magic in the tools, its the person using them and it does NOT matter what brand as long as they don't break.

"Chevrolet is the best truck to drive to work. Once I get there, I need a ford or dodge"

David

Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Just doing some shopping around for a new tool set. Preferably Craftsman. Snap On is a little out of my budget most likely.
What's the tool set for? If it's for the bike, you're better off building it yourself. That said, Cruz Tools has some pretty good sets to get you going, or at least give you an idea what you're looking for.

I tend to build a set for whatever bike I own. As I work on the bike, over time, the set becomes complete.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I use Stanley and Pittsburg (Harbor Freight) stuff mostly now. Its just as good IMO as new craftsman (old crafstman was higher quality I think).

If I was a professional mech I would spring for Snap-On or Mac or one of those professional grade tool companys, but for personal use the cheaper *good* tools work just as well.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
What's the tool set for? If it's for the bike, you're better off building it yourself. That said, Cruz Tools has some pretty good sets to get you going, or at least give you an idea what you're looking for.

I tend to build a set for whatever bike I own. As I work on the bike, over time, the set becomes complete.
Yeah, it's for the bike. I'm also going to be using for other things such as my car and whatever I find necessary. It will be my first complete tool set. Up until now I've just been bumming tools off of my dad out of his garage.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Yeah, it's for the bike. I'm also going to be using for other things such as my car and whatever I find necessary. It will be my first complete tool set. Up until now I've just been bumming tools off of my dad out of his garage.
I started out with a smaller set than the one you are looking at. IMO Craftsman are good tools as are Cobolt and Husky. All sets come with lifetime warranties so if you break one they will replace them. As others have said you will need to buy other tools on the side as one of these sets will not cover everything you will find yourself needing. Buy a good base set and then add on from there. Just don't go over board on a set that has a lot of tools just because it has a lot of tools.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

There is too much stuff you won't use in that set. You almost never need deep well sockets, and I have never felt a need for more than one ratchet. You need standard and metric combination wrenches, sockets, and Allen wrenches.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
There is too much stuff you won't use in that set. You almost never need deep well sockets...
I use them all the time rather than a short extension.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
I use them all the time rather than a short extension.
Same here. I almost never use the stubby sockets unless a deepwell won't fit.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good, complete tool set.