Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Looking for a good back pack for a commuting college student

Any ideas, go ahead and post them. Thanks

Old 08-06-2011, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

i've been using a dakine bag for years. just a simply bag with lots of room. if anything i would suggest getting something with a chest strap at least. having both a chest and waist strap helps a lot though, specially if you plan to carry books and what not.

i've never had trouble with rain either, and i've been out in some very heavy rain. and again my dakine bag is just the normal one you see everyone with, so i would think any well built bag should work fine.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a Swissgear computer bag I use for work. It's well padded and can hold a lot of stuff. With everything I carry the bag weights about 30 lbs. Even at this weight it is very comfortable to carry. Only thing is they are not that cheap. If I remember I paid close to $100 almost two years ago.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I picked up a $20 High Sierra at Meijer. Works fine, has a double padded pocket for up to a 15" (or close) lap top in it against the back, not outside. I use it for school stuff (teacher), errands, and for overnighters on the bike.

Not ultra trick, but not ultra expensive. I'd hit the discount stores NOW because they'll have all the packs for the high schoolers and college students. You might find something decent. If you want a chest strap you can always add some web strap with a Fastex clip from JoAnn fabrics.

After all, you sound like a student trying to go on the cheap, like I was when I just changed jobs. I couldn't afford the $100+ motorcycle specials.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Recently purchased a Patagonia bag through Zappos. bright yellow for visibility from the rear, huge main area, two water bottle pockets on the outside, and padded space inside for my cell phone. Also allegedly waterproof, but this has not been tested. Icon also makes a backpack that is a combination back pack and high visibility milspec vest. It looks kinda odd when not being worn when riding, but it incorporates great safety and reflective aspects as well as the chest strap thing if you need it.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Get a rack from Cycleracks and maybe a topcase. Backpacks are not fun when commuting.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:18 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

are you looking for a bag that will carry a laptop specifically or just your basic student gear?

I have a couple of bags from Tough Traveler that I really like. They are more expensive but they have good quality and customer service.
TOUGH TRAVELER: TRAVEL BACK PACKS

Here are some others:
Commuter Backpack Large

its hard to beat the the value of ebags too...
Ebags Brand Laptop Bags | the Difference Is in the Details - eBags.com

Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I commute with a backpack and it's not a problem. Just a plain old jansport.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

just find something that fit what you need and hopefully waterproof for those rainy days. ive seen a lot of guys with military style back packs and the look like they can fit a lot, but i run a burton cus it has sinch straps i use to hold my sleeping bag on trips.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I always use a back pack. My "good" bag is my Teknic bag. Its meant for motorcycle use. Has padding where it meets your back for comfort. Has a built in rain cover. You can secure it with a waist belt and chest belt. The bag I use when I go pick up parts and stuff is just a normal bag you can get at walmart or wherever. Has the waist and chest belt and LOTS of pockets. Or if you dont need to haul a lot a good ole fanny pack works good. Plus they look cool

Quick Reply: Looking for a good back pack for a commuting college student