Looking for gear recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Where did you find it for that price? If I might ask...

Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
hey punk, I don't ride MX I just ride trails...

A backpack is a must for me and I don't even realize I'm wearing it. My current backpack has chest and waist straps so it really just becomes part of you. It doesn't bounce or distract me at all. As for water, I usually just strap down a couple of big bottles of water to my rear rack. That seems to work well.

I do agree that if you fall, it may cause more bodily damage, but then again, it may actually protect you a bit. To each his own I guess.

I do appreciate your input though!
I agree with you there, ac. A Camelback or other quality hydration/equipment pack is essential for long, outback trips and rides IMO. Short trail rides close to the trailhead or your vehicle is another thing...so is competition...though on an enduro where you're riding a good 40 miles or so between fuel stops, I'll take the water in my Camelback any day. I cannot imagine riding in Moab, Colorado, or other big ride venues without the stuff in my fender bag, number plate bag, luggage rack pack, and my Camelback. I hope I don't need 90% of the stuff in any of them, but if you do, it can be the difference between a long walk, spending the night in the boonies, dying, or all of the above.

On the falling, I even wear some body armor for more aggressive mountainbiking. You fall a lot more on an MTB than on a dirt bike generally. I've landed on my back with a Camelback attached more times than you can count, and unless you're carrying a set of ginsu steak knives, the Camelback has probably saved more MTB'er from added injury than you'd believe.

Wearing a Camelback is super comfortable to me and wearing it over body armor like the Answer Apex model I use, it's almost unnoticeable.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
On the falling, I even wear some body armor for more aggressive mountainbiking. You fall a lot more on an MTB than on a dirt bike generally. I've landed on my back with a Camelback attached more times than you can count, and unless you're carrying a set of ginsu steak knives, the Camelback has probably saved more MTB'er from added injury than you'd believe.
i was talking about the 90% of people that put tools in there packs, which is a major no no to me. i mean imagine falling on screwdrivers, cresent wrenches and tire irons, soon you see why tool packs rock. also, most my riding is in the desert, and i can pound 3 litters of water in no time riding, so camelbacks are truely needed. as for it saving people, maybe at low speeds, but once your cooking i dont think a water blater is going to do a hell of a lot more than pop. just my $0.02.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:22 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Punken, I've landed on my Camelback a ton of times and often with a full bladder, and the stupid thing has never exploded. Frankly, I don't know how they make those things to keep from bursting, but it's rare if they do.

Yeah, I keep the pointy things in the fender and rack pack...even the ginsu steak knives.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Zac Speed

Hey guys, I tend to read this forum heaps but never really post anything but……

I have the Zac Speed RP-3. Works a treat and I think it’s pretty good. You don’t notice it once it’s on and it has a ridged back protector built in so landing on it isn’t a problem (done it a few times). It comes with straps so the chest protector can be removed and it can be used on for trips on the road.

Apart from the water I normally just have my phone, wallet, my tool roll and spare leavers in side it. My brother puts a first aid kit in his as well. They don’t really allow enough room to put heaps of stuff in but the basics help. I kind of wish I got the larger SP-3 but for what I ride they are fine.

-Neil

Last edited by neilapples; 05-21-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Neil, it's good to have some positive feedback on this system - especially after I already dropped the coin on it!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, just a quick update for anyone who is interested. I received the Australian made Exotec SP-3 today. First impressions are very good. I have not ridden with it yet but I think it will be perfect for me. Lot's of protection with a good bit of storage. Not lots of storage, but I think it will be plenty. A few tools, a camera, a sandwich, and some other survival goodies will fit nicely. I really like that it's an all-in-one system. It seems very well made and I have no doubt that it will hold up well. I'm hoping to do a bit of riding this memorial day weekend (after the yard work... ughh). I'll try to report back on how well it rides.

Thanks to whoever recommended this excellent piece of gear.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Great, I would like to know how you like it for riding, I will probably order one before the summer gets going.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

take some pictures and tell us how you like it once you try it out. still like my version of almost the same thing.

Last edited by punkenduro09; 05-29-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for gear recommendations