Looking for gear recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Looking for gear recommendations

Does anyone here have a chest protector with built in backpack? I always wear a backpack when riding but this year I'd like to get a chest protector. I'm not sure if the two ride well together so I was hoping there was some kind of integrated system. I carry tools, food, etc. in my backpack so I need something with a bit of storage (just just a pocket or two).

Also, I'd like one that's kawi green. Any ideas or is this a pipe dream?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

chest webbing loaded up with (unloaded) magazines, there's a webtex one that has a clip-on backpack :P happens to be green to! (not quite kawasaki green though...)

Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I wear a back pack over my chest protector. It actually works pretty well. The only thing I don't like is that the backpack hangs up on the shoulder guards when I take the it off. I have thought about getting a fanny pack to try. I have my tube and irons on my front fender and really don't need much room in a pack for my tools etc.
Dan

Old 05-19-2010, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I am interested in one of these,

http://www.zacspeed.com/home.shtml

Old 05-19-2010, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, I like that exotec but $325? That's steep. But overall, that's exactly what I'm looking for (except it's not green!). I need to find some similiar products for comparison...

Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Amazon has these Exotec's for $202.50... hmmmm... I may pull the trigger on one.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

one of the things ive learned, BACK PACKS ARE FOR SCHOOL NOT MX. i ride with a backpack, maybe, maybe, twice a year. they can rip, bounce around and distract you, kill your shoulders on long rides, and can really mess you up if you eat it and land on it. try looking into tool packs (fanny style or fender), fender packs, racks for tools. i have a thor tool pack thats like a fanny pack, hold everything but a tube and pump, and keeps a few pounds off my arms. if im going long distance, or im scared of flats for some reason, i throw on the fender pack and im good to go. for water, there are camel backs and other hydration packs that have no shoulder straps that easily zip tie to a chest protector. this is what i did with a 3 litter, and it last me most the day and it really not noticeable unless it full (weighs like 8 pounds full, but in the desert it size is justly needed). food, pack small like granola or cliff bars and it could fit in the tool pack, otherwise its in the jacket if you use one or stop somewhere and eat.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

hey punk, I don't ride MX I just ride trails...

A backpack is a must for me and I don't even realize I'm wearing it. My current backpack has chest and waist straps so it really just becomes part of you. It doesn't bounce or distract me at all. As for water, I usually just strap down a couple of big bottles of water to my rear rack. That seems to work well.

I do agree that if you fall, it may cause more bodily damage, but then again, it may actually protect you a bit. To each his own I guess.

I do appreciate your input though!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

So I should re-think the cheap backpack with he 2 gallons of gas? LOL

Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I just ordered the Exotec SP-3. I'll let you know how it works. Got it for $189 delivered.

Quick Reply: Looking for gear recommendations