Looking for a Dual Sport Helmet!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Default RE: Looking for a Dual Sport Helmet!

dang - $300-400 for a dualposrt helmet!!?!?!?? My wallet says, "yikes." The Simpson is starting to get closer to what is acceptable (to me). I ride with an Arai for my street bikes - so I'm not afraid of spending the $$$ for comfort and safety - but for something that will beseeing mud/dirt/gravel .. I cant seewearing a $400 helmet for the job. just me.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bonafide

dang - $300-400 for a dualposrt helmet!!?!?!?? My wallet says, "yikes." The Simpson is starting to get closer to what is acceptable (to me). I ride with an Arai for my street bikes - so I'm not afraid of spending the $$$ for comfort and safety - but for something that will beseeing mud/dirt/gravel .. I cant seewearing a $400 helmet for the job. just me.
You make it sound like helmet + offroad = destroyed helmet.

Unless you plan on casing some doubles, i'm sure that a good offroad helmet will last more than long enough.

And if you do take a knocking so fat that it renders your helmet unsafe for street usage, you could always just use it for dualsporting, and your street helmet for street riding.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the link, That looks like a decent helmet. How do you like it? Does it keep the wind off your face while on the road?

I want good protection but $300-400+ is steep.

Im gonna check the site! Just need some Kaw Green!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I use a Bell Moto 8 for my offroad and the visor actually makes the helmet alot more stable than my HJC CL-SP on the road.I get no pull from the wind whatsoever but it does cost 375$$....not cheap but it is very good for a helmet.as for the cold i use a nice headsock for the winter under it.I just couldn't tolerate the visor fogging of my HJC when riding offroad.I did notice that i get less draft up my face with the bell helmet than with the HJC.....so for wintertime use with the HJC i use a Schampa balaclava that is much thicker than the one i use offroad .I also like better mobility offroad too so i'll stick with the moto-8 for that.The Arai helmet is really nice and will prolly be my next helmet when i wreck one or the other as i always keep 2 helmets around just in case.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Now the simpson keeps alot of the air off, but one of the things the Arai owners liked is that there is a "positivie" seal with the visor, The simpson lets a little more air in but its alot better than goggles, IMO if you dont want any air on your face, just get astreet full face helmet for cold riding.... but i really like how it fits and it is nice to just flip up the visor....

Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Here i went down and took some pics....

Name:  simpson001.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  112.2 KB

Name:  simpson002.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  103.0 KB

tried to get a pic of how dark it is..... this lense is pretty dark..
Name:  simpson003.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  simpson004.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  118.0 KB

here is the other lense i have and use alot.... this one has rubber on the top and bottom of it to seal off some of the gaps between the helmet and lense, keeps more air out than the dark one that doesnt have the rubber, if you buy a helmet now it will come with the rubber on the lense, im pretty sure.
Name:  simpson006.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  67.9 KB

this is my bike from the last muddy ride.... havent had time to spray it off
Name:  simpson005.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  98.6 KB

Old 11-24-2007, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

this is my bike from the last muddy ride.... havent had time to spray it off
I think you should leave it as is. That's built-in protection, just like one of those adobe houses

Old 11-24-2007, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

You make it sound like helmet + offroad = destroyed helmet.

Unless you plan on casing some doubles, i'm sure that a good offroad helmet will last more than long enough.
Yup. There's more potential for going down while offroadingand doing so in a $400 helmet is not what I would want to do - especially when you dont need the same level of protection there as you do on the street. I like the idea of a true dualsport helmet - I just dont see paying that kind of price for one.

And if you do take a knocking so fat that it renders your helmet unsafe for street usage, you could always just use it for dualsporting, and your street helmet for street riding.
That doesnt make sense - are you suggesting I wear a street helmet and carry an extra helmet (one that's been damaged)so when I go offroad - I switch em up? If I'm dualsporting sir, then I'm riding the street to get to my trails. Wearing a busted helmet on the street to get to my trails is not what I would consider a smart bet.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:45 PM

Anyone else run an off road helmet with the roost guard off? I dont seem to need it when I ride on dirt and it jerks my head around on the highway.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Do you mean the visor? I never heard it called a roost guard. But then again I'm a old noob. I like the visor at all times. In fact its great for sun and rain. You can tip your head down and use it to your advantage in many situations. As far as highway wind problems, I do 60-65 and it doesn't bother me, but again you have to find that spot where instead of trying to rip your helmet off, its actually pushing down a little.