Long-term damage from not re-jetting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Default Long-term damage from not re-jetting?

So I've gotten bits and peices of this answer throughout this forum, but thought I'd try to get a better concensus:

Are there any problems that one would experience from putting on an aftermarket slip-on pipe (TBR) and not re-jetting? I also just removed the snorkel, left the lid, and it seems to have minimal effect. Might put the snorkel back on.

I know that the bike is now getting a different mixture of air/fuel but I'm ok with the performance. I'm not seeking power gain, just trying to cut down on heat. I relize now that I probably could have down this for a few dollars just by removing the smog. Live and learn. I love the bike and am more than happy with it's power, I sold a two-stroke 250 because it was out of my league, I love how smooth this bike is and it handles all the hills and mud and rivers I can put it to.

Long-story short, I don't want to HURT the engine by having an improper mix. Is this possible, or nothing to worry about?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Long-term damage from not re-jetting?

Removing the snorkle lets more air in making it run lean. Lean = more heat, more heat = damaged engine in time.
Most aftermarket mufflers flow more air which will make it run leaner. Lean = more heat, more heat = damaged engine in time.
I suggest you at least put the snorkel back in until you jet it right

Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

Removing the snorkle lets more air in making it run lean. Lean = more heat, more heat = damaged engine in time.
Most aftermarket mufflers flow more air which will make it run leaner. Lean = more heat, more heat = damaged engine in time.
I suggest you at least put the snorkel back in until you jet it right
[sm=signs007.gif] For what it costs to rejet, and all the info on here on how to do it,,,, rejetting far out weights not and risk of engine damage.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

If you're too lean, you will eventually melt a hole in the piston. The excessive heat melts the aluminum of the piston crown - especially in the thinner areas around the valve reliefs. You'll be able to verify this by pulling the spark plug - little silver specs on the plug are a sure indication of being excessively lean.

With that being said, I don't think the mods you've done so far will get you to that point, but why chance it? To take full advantage of letting more air in and out of the engine, you have to add more fuel also. That's why your changes so far have not made much of a difference.A richer engine also runs cooler, so a rejet will achieve all of your goals at once.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HawaiiRider

So I've gotten bits and peices of this answer throughout this forum, but thought I'd try to get a better concensus:

Are there any problems that one would experience from putting on an aftermarket slip-on pipe (TBR) and not re-jetting? I also just removed the snorkel, left the lid, and it seems to have minimal effect. Might put the snorkel back on.

I know that the bike is now getting a different mixture of air/fuel but I'm ok with the performance. I'm not seeking power gain, just trying to cut down on heat. I relize now that I probably could have down this for a few dollars just by removing the smog. Live and learn. I love the bike and am more than happy with it's power, I sold a two-stroke 250 because it was out of my league, I love how smooth this bike is and it handles all the hills and mud and rivers I can put it to.

Long-story short, I don't want to HURT the engine by having an improper mix. Is this possible, or nothing to worry about?
I called Two Brothers to ask what they recomended for re-jetting and he said on this bike, stock everything else, should run great without re-jetting. I'm leaving mine as is for a while.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: warsanrotts

ORIGINAL: HawaiiRider

I called Two Brothers to ask what they recomended for re-jetting and he said on this bike, stock everything else, should run great without re-jetting. I'm leaving mine as is for a while.

I bet that if you leave the bike as is, and something breaks, they wont pay for it...... JMO.....You: " yea i called about the jetting on my bike, and you said to leave it as is...... and now i have a hole in my piston..." Two Bros: " Um yea, that sucks, good luck......."

Im not saying its gonna happen, but if it were me id listen to ppl on the forum before someone who deals with all kinds of makes and models.... unless they have dyno tested it and used an exhaust sniffer...

Old 08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Why someone would buy a $350 slip-on and not spend the <$50 to get the bike tuned right is beyond me.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TypeSH

Why someone would buy a $350 slip-on and not spend the <$50 to get the bike tuned right is beyond me.
+1!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I was just quoting what the guy from Two Brothers said. Thought is was kind of interesting on his answer. I do plan on re-jetting very soon and also adding on a different filter. I aggree that if you are letting more out, more needs to go in. As we are on this topic, what jets would you recomend? The only thing I have done so far is the exhaust.

Thanks,

Old 09-01-2007, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I was happy with the 125 main, 2.5 turns on screw, NTIC needle on second clip, slip on, KDX snorkel & then better with no snorkel but having lid on. I am happier yet with my Dynojet kit but I went to 300cc at the same time so my settings wont be 100% for you altho others know how to set them up for 250cc.

You are not getting the most from your pipe without rejetting.

1100 feet normall with rides of 5000-7000 on occation.

Quick Reply: Long-term damage from not re-jetting?