Long shot - but anyone have a left side crank case they want to sell? (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

PM me I have an 09 set

Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

maninthesea - sent you a PM a few days ago..

Side note - anyone that's removed the motor on this bike.. The manual calls to remove the right side peg.. Is that really needed? Reason I ask is because the bolt on the RS peg is chewed up a bit and I can't get it off without chewing it up some more.. I'll just leave it if it doesn't need to come off..

Thanks

Old 02-24-2011, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I am the worst about noticing I have a PM. I will PM you back with my hotmail address(same as name here)

Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Well the motor is out.. Wasn't too bad, just a lot of stuff to disconnect.

Also got in the mail yeasterday - all new gaskets, new timing chain, new head gasket, new piston rings, swingarm bearings, steering stem bearings, and probably some more stuff I'm forgetting.. It should be like a new bike when I'm done with it!!!

I can't wait to ride. Between this damage and my injury, i's been almost 4 months!! Just got my cast off my hand a couple weeks ago. The surgery appears to have been a success, my thumb no longer pops out of it's socket at random times so that's good

I can't wait to ride. Bring on Spring!!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Marine tex

http://www.marinenutz.com/products/M...Set-Paste.html

Also available on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-Rap...8648333&sr=1-4

This will work especially if you get to both sides and rough up the surface. I used it on an old Honda CB on the cylinder head when the cam roller sprocket came through. For reals it the shiznit!

Note: I'm probably too old to say shiznit huh?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

deej - my father works for an aircraft manufacturer, he gave me some military grade aluminum welding compound to use. He said they use it on military aircraft in the field when conventional welding is not possible. Not sold to the public, it's good stuff

Anyways, I will first see about getting it welded professionally.. If I can't find someone to do cast aluminum, I will be going the chemical route.

I'd rather get a real weld, but from what my dad says, this stuff will be more than enough.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

With welding it, isn't there the chance of distorting the case unless the welding is done with the cases assembled at the correct torque? I'd go with that hi-tech bubblegum.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Well the motor is out.. Wasn't too bad, just a lot of stuff to disconnect.

Also got in the mail yeasterday - all new gaskets, new timing chain, new head gasket, new piston rings, swingarm bearings, steering stem bearings, and probably some more stuff I'm forgetting.. It should be like a new bike when I'm done with it!!!
hey im doing the swingarm bearings and steering stem bearings... swingarm is done, heat gun is your friend. Doing the steering stem today after work.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Let me know how the steering stem bearings go! That was the one I was thinking might be the PITA.

I dunno. I guess it can't be any worse than what I'm in to already!

And I keep hearing mixed stuff about welding the aluminum case.. Some say to do it, some say to not do it, some say to use the magic putty, some say not to.

I don't know.

My father has 30+ years doing this type of stuff on Military aircraft and he told me this stuff will work like a charm and I won't have to ever worry about it. Maybe I'll just go that route.

I just don't want to ever have to do this job again!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

If the magic putty is good enough for things that fly all the time, it should be fine for something that is only in the air once in a while.
Just be sure to do the prep as directed.

Quick Reply: Long shot - but anyone have a left side crank case they want to sell? (2007)