Long shot - but anyone have a left side crank case they want to sell? (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Long shot - but anyone have a left side crank case they want to sell? (2007)

I started dissecting my bike over the weekend. I don't know if you guys remember but I had an unfortunate run-in with a boulder last November. Poked a hole in my crank case.

All the new ones I see you have to buy both halves together at a price of over $300. I'd really like to find just the left side (side with drain plug) if possible!!

I found one on ebay from a 1997 KLX300, it looks the same, but research online shows different part # for the 2007 - don't want to take the chance.

I could just patch the hole, it's a perfect 6mm round hole... But then I'd always be scared the patch was compromised without me knowing, then I leak all my oil and the motor goes boom. That would be my luck. Although my dad did give me some military grade aluminum welding material that he says will work - I guess the military uses it on aircraft when traditional welding isn't an option. Maybe I should just get the case off and repair it?

What do you guys think I should do? Disassemble and repair, or bite the bullet and spend the money on a new case?

Either way this job is going to suck

Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Tap it and put a bolt in it.... short so it doesnt hit the crank.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

If your tearing the bike apart why not get the hole welded? Sounds like the least expensive, and I'd say, as good as new, option.
I think in your original post , someone suggested drilling it, tapping it, and then running a bolt in it. That sounded like a good idea to me too. You could do that, and epoxy the bolt in there. Try that and then keep a good eye on it. I dont think I would trust just the epoxy/jb-weld.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Tap it and put a bolt in it.... short so it doesnt hit the crank.
Ha ha beat me by 2 min

Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Alright, I guess I can do that and save cash. Should I put like a copper crush washer on both ends? Or just goop it up with the aluminum welder my dad gave me?

I didn't want to have it welded the real way because I hear cast aluminum is very tricky to weld and not destroy.. Don't want to take the chance I guess..

I guess I'll just start by ordering all the gaskets I will need and tear it apart.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Any good welder should be able to do it. I have done a few.

Any other repair may not hold because the expansion of aluminum as it warms up.

Send a PM if you would like it welded. Look at my aluminum rack....
Its extruded aluminum, but I can weld cast too.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=34913

David

Last edited by David R; 02-21-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, on the issue of having to buy both case halves, I remember in the past that you couldn't mix-and-match case halves, as they were matched sets in all the critical bore holes when they were manufactured. You'd think that as the manufacturing process has gotten more precise, that it wouldn't be as big an issue these days, but apparently it still is.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Have it welded...by an experienced welder.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, I will have it professionally welded.

Does anyone know where I can get the Kawasaki Kawi bond liquid gasket for the crank case halves? I can't find it anywhere.

Lots of people mention online the ThreeBond 1194 for cases, can anyone confirm? Or know where to get the kawi stuff??! Thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

There are both halves for sale on ebay now for an 07 for $204. I'd link it but I'm a moron and don't know how.

Quick Reply: Long shot - but anyone have a left side crank case they want to sell? (2007)