A little wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Rake angle can be critical. Different fork springs and rider weights can affect the dynamic angle. Like previously mentioned, a more vertical angle will make for a less stable ride at higher speeds but easier to turn at low speed. I had the same problem with my 2000 KLX300 until I put stiffer springs in the forks.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenMonsta
Are you running the front rim lock?
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a front rim lock?

Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mucky_Waters
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a front rim lock?

About 8" over from the valve stem is another hole for the rim lock. if it's plugged you dont have one if there is a bolt sticking out you do. It is a rubber block with a protruding bolt that pinches the tire to the rim. It keeps the tire on the rim when you get a flat. Some people counteract the wobble with spoke weights. Same as getting car tires balanced. I just removed mine had a wicked shake at 60+.

Last edited by GreenMonsta; 03-31-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
On the length, were you measuring the axle-to-axle length?
Yes, that was what I meant, but scrap that. I double checked it more carefully, with my son's help this time, and the distance is exactly the same, both came out to 56 3/4" center to center of the axles. The first time I measured it I didn't take enough care to make sure the wheel was dead straight, so that threw the measurements off.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

One more thing that can cause wobble would be if the front tire is noticably cupped. It can set off a wobble, which will amplify if uncorrected. It can probably be worse if any bearings are lose or worn and/or if the forks are tweeked out of straight.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
One more thing that can cause wobble would be if the front tire is noticably cupped. It can set off a wobble, which will amplify if uncorrected. It can probably be worse if any bearings are lose or worn and/or if the forks are tweeked out of straight.
Could you describe what sort of "cupping" on the tire I would look for?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

it might be worth taking it to a professional suspension shop to get the suspension adjusted for his weight...they can tell you if the bike was way off for him or not...it was only $40 in california...if it's not the suspension, they can look at the other factors...and, i'm sure a pro can give a quick look to see and recommend any other fixes...

my klx250 was way off...the guy even laughed..this was after i watched hours of youtube videos and tried to adjust the suspension myself...i was embarrassed and didn't mention i had already adjusted it myself....amazingly, after they adjusted it...the bike was completely stable well past 90 mph and i felt like i could go even faster if i could...

Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I would suspect the front tire.

Never had a wobble on the Dunlop 605's. After wearing them out it was replaced with Michelin Scorpions - very unstable at certain speed on tar. Replaced again with Bridgestone Gritty. Bit better, but still gave me a few **** tightening moments.

So, finally bought Dunlop 605 and it is rock solid.

Maybe you can swap the whole front wheel and give it a test ride?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

This is some interesting discussion. I didn`t know 1/3 of this stuff and I am curious now. My SF is very stable at high speeds. I understand I use road tires, so I am not trying to compare my SF to a S. Nevertheless, if I nudge the bar at high speeds, the front end will wobble and then correct itself. Isn`t that a normal thing to happen? I mean, it`s a single steering pivot point. I am sure if I give it a good nudge at high speeds, I`ll end up face planted on the pavement.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, Watson. The problem seems to be when it remains harmonic. It sometimes doesn't correct itself so well.

Last edited by NEWPARTSRULE; 04-03-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: .

Quick Reply: A little wobble