A little Story: My First Off-Road Adventure (not what I expected)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I got the one I had through Motorcycle Superstore. I didn't realize there would be that kind of difference. If you look on the MS site right now in dual sport and off road tires, you'll see 3 different Scorpion fronts that are full knobbies. Right now I have no idea which one I got.
Yes, I agree its somewhat confusing with several different tires carrying the Scorpion name. But only one version on MS is called "Pro" and none of the three Scorpion versions carry "F.I.M." in the model name.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Just came back from a ride today through a local trail. Yes I hate sand too and this stock KLX handles quite differently than my RM125 I had. But, the stock 605 rear seemed to do ok in the sand but the fronts got to go! I managed every hill except one and I`m sure I would have been ok with a more agressive rear but.....90% of the riding I do doesnt require a more aggressive rear.

I too lean back when in sand and I do stand. It`s much easier to handle the sand on this bike standing which brings me to my other observation: I need new taller handle bars! The stock bars force me to lean forward while standing and thats not good for the sand. I`m only 5'8" but can feel myself leaning over the front unless I squat huge.

Ian

Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Glds has 750 members - there are usually around 100 riders at a club ride. The way it works is you are given a paper map with the route , the route is downloaded into your gps (if you have one) and a route sheet with turn by turn instructions (in the video its the small box on my handlebars) 2 loops are laid out = "A" loop is around 120 miles "B" loop around 90-100 - most riders ride "A" sat. and "B" on sun. start and finish is in a campground the campground and local motels are filled with riders (people come for the day as well) ride as little or as much as you want ride with whoever you want. A recent trail frederic b loop 88.27 miles -2 track 58.15 miles =66%- paved road 8.76 miles=10% - gravel road 1.69 miles =2% dirt road 16.36 miles =19% singletrack 3.24 miles =4 % ten dollars a year to join -club rides are free

Last edited by zippets; 06-06-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trail Blazer
Very cool video, and dayam, those are some tight, technical, sandy trails. I'm not sure but it seems like you were in first gear for a good part of it, and ya got a little squirrely there a few times. With all those trees inches away, I think you really need to have confidence in your riding skills to ride those kind of trails. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, if that was a GLDS ride, where were the rest of the club riders? I only seen you and one other bike in the video. Did you Venture off on your own?
i was in 2nd and 3rd gear - my speedo is visible in the video - and squirrely isn't crashing - you slide around in the deep sand and sometimes pop out of the trail- also this video was 60 miles into the trail ( before lunch !!!)

Last edited by zippets; 06-06-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is some good advice from a club member in GLDS

The sand thing is hard to get over, people telling you to stand up and to go faster go against your basic survival instinct. You think more speed = more pain when you fall, but when you put it into practice, it actually = more effective, less energy used and more confidence. I admit, it's tough to get over mentally, but once you do, it's cake and the best thing about it is if I'm going to take a spill, I'd prefer it be in deep sand. It doesn't hurt as bad as packed dirt or sticks and stones. I don't like to get stopped in the middle of deep sand, because it's really hard to start moving from 1st gear, shift to 2nd and get back up to speed. It's best to just hit it standing up, slightly hanging your butt over the back of the seat /front part of the rear fender at speed and keep accelerating, the faster you go, the more on top of it you'll get. DON'T use the bars to steer, use your weight on the foot pegs to change direction. A little wiggling at speed is normal, you just get used to it. As long as you're going forward, it's just fine. When a right curve comes up, put your weight on the right foot peg and the bike will go to the right, etc.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Took my nephew riding last night at our local ORV Park. The park is nothing but sugar sand trails. He mainly stayed near the parking lot where there are a couple of trails that are mainly flat. I rode a loop around the “Hilly” part of the park on my bike. I had not been out there for a few years so I was out of practice. The KLX was a little bit squarely in the sand but I managed. I then took the TTR-125L out and it was a blast. It rode right through the sand and it hardly ever wanted to “Track” in the ruts. I guess because the TTR is so much lighter it made it that much easier to ride. I think I want a KTM300 Two Stroke, light and three times the power.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that weight can help...almost 100 pounds lighter. Anyone looking for a KLX, WRR, or similar DS bike to be a "sandmeister" will be highly disappointed.