A little Story: My First Off-Road Adventure (not what I expected)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trail Blazer
... I mean how in the heck am I suppose to feel confident giving it some throttle and picking up speed when I'm so out of control and unsteady? ...
Like I said, find a sand pit or dunes to practice in: you'll be able to learn much quicker when you've got plenty of space around you...when you can get offline without risk of crashing into something. And when you do get offline, you'll quickly get a feel for how to correct, again without the risk of hitting something.

Plus riding in a pit can be a bucket load of fun all on its own.

Last edited by Lutz; 06-05-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, I need to find some sand to practice in and get my confidence up. I think firs though, I need to get my bike setup better. New front tire and a 48t rear sprocket seems like the first things I should install.

Originally Posted by TNC
Be careful on selecting that Scorpion. I saw 2 or 3 different Scorpions, all of them DOT. The one I got ripped off every other side **** in about 1000 miles. This was the front tire. I tried this tire due to good reviews. Just make sure you get the one that everyone is having success with.
OK, so I'm assuming its the more expensive Pirelli Scorpion Pro F.I.M. with all the good reviews? That's not the one you got?

Last edited by Trail Blazer; 06-05-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm in Gladwin, MI.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikesova
I'm in Gladwin, MI.
i was riding there a few weeks ago do you belong to GLDS ???

(GreatLakes Dual Sporters )

Old 06-06-2013, 12:47 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trail Blazer
Yep, I need to find some sand to practice in and get my confidence up. I think firs though, I need to get my bike setup better. New front tire and a 48t rear sprocket seems like the first things I should install.

OK, so I'm assuming its the more expensive Pirelli Scorpion Pro F.I.M. with all the good reviews? That's not the one you got?
No idea. Check with someone on this forum who has one of the good ones and get him to provide all the sidewall data. I got the one I had through Motorcycle Superstore. I didn't realize there would be that kind of difference. If you look on the MS site right now in dual sport and off road tires, you'll see 3 different Scorpion fronts that are full knobbies. Right now I have no idea which one I got.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

90/90x21 Pirelli Scorpion Pro F.I.M. is the tire you want

the trick to not knock off your lugs is to run the in the sand for a few hours to get rid of the sharp corners on the *****

Old 06-06-2013, 01:06 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zippets
90/90x21 Pirelli Scorpion Pro F.I.M. is the tire you want

the trick to not knock off your lugs is to run the in the sand for a few hours to get rid of the sharp corners on the *****
Run in the sand for a few hours?...Right. I'll get down to that right after yoga class.

zippets, a quality tire should not rip off side ***** easily just because they're sharp.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

GLDS ride last weekend near baldwin mich

Old 06-06-2013, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zippets
i was riding there a few weeks ago do you belong to GLDS ???

(GreatLakes Dual Sporters )
No. I just usually ride with friends or alone. I'm not really at a satisfactory competence level with my offroad riding to ride with strangers.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Very cool video, and dayam, those are some tight, technical, sandy trails. I'm not sure but it seems like you were in first gear for a good part of it, and ya got a little squirrely there a few times. With all those trees inches away, I think you really need to have confidence in your riding skills to ride those kind of trails. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, if that was a GLDS ride, where were the rest of the club riders? I only seen you and one other bike in the video. Did you Venture off on your own?

Quick Reply: A little Story: My First Off-Road Adventure (not what I expected)