A little Story: My First Off-Road Adventure (not what I expected)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a lot of "sugar" sand here in NJ. I have Kenda TrakMaster II's fornt and rear. Aired down to 15 PSI. 13 tooth front sprocket. I raise up on the foot pegs, slide my azz to the rear, and twist the throttle. There will always be some "wiggle" but never a problem with this setup even cutting a hard turn.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pine Barrens
There is a lot of "sugar" sand here in NJ. I have Kenda TrakMaster II's fornt and rear. Aired down to 15 PSI. 13 tooth front sprocket. I raise up on the foot pegs, slide my azz to the rear, and twist the throttle. There will always be some "wiggle" but never a problem with this setup even cutting a hard turn.
did you notice the 13t sprock cutting into your case I did so i went back to the 14 and went up on the rear

i also noticed even though i was at the same gear ratio with the 13 / 45 in the front by going 14 / 48 it seemed to have more leverage to turn the wheel over

Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I hate sand. I've heard the stuff about going faster through it, but when you're riding with trees inches from you, it's really hard to give it throttle when you know how unsteady sugar sand makes you. So, I just slow way down and waddle through it, then keep going. Sometimes, it works ok, sometimes it doesn't. I just hate it.

I was just riding in Roscommon on the Denton Creek ORV system and the sand isn't too bad on it. More dirt than sand is good.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

where you do live mike im in rochester hills

Like the Mccc trail LOL isn't that awesome

i have to post pics and videos soon

Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Zip, I'd love to see some pics and videos.

Well I'm starting to see its not all me. I've only owned my KLX for a couple months and this was my first real off-road trek. But I'm really beginning to bond with my bike. There's things I want to change and I have read about the free mods. So far only thing I did was change the rear tire. But I can see now from all comments its not going to be an ideal sand machine no matter what mods I do.

Originally Posted by mikesova
I understand exactly where you're coming from. I hate sand. I've heard the stuff about going faster through it, but when you're riding with trees inches from you, it's really hard to give it throttle when you know how unsteady sugar sand makes you. So, I just slow way down and waddle through it, then keep going. Sometimes, it works ok, sometimes it doesn't. I just hate it.
Yep, I'm with you on the speed thing. I mean how in the heck am I suppose to feel confident giving it some throttle and picking up speed when I'm so out of control and unsteady? I did try because as others have stated, that's the trick. I even watched a YouTube video of how to ride in sand and those were the tips that were mentioned. But I totally sucked and resorted to doing exactly what you did, slow way down and waddle.

Originally Posted by zippets
here is me on the klx climbing a 300ft sand hill on the same weekend.
before a changed the rear sprocket the next day this same hills was a breeze
Wow, I wouldn't even attempt that sand hill. I'd probably turn around and go back the way I came! That's amazing and you have the same bike as I do?

Hey zippets, If you wouldn't mind I would like to talk. You're not far from me at all. I'm all for learning some tips and techniques. I need to get my bike setup like yours is. I'm going take a wild guess though, I'm betting I'm at least 15 - 20 years your senior. That may play a part in my off-road skills but I'm hoping it doesn't.

Last edited by Trail Blazer; 06-05-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I've been doing some research on a new front tire and I'm a little bit unsure what to go with, so many opinions and comments it made my head spin.

However, while looking through the forum here researching front tires, I found this interesting post on how to help with stability when riding in sand. I have to say I've never heard of doing this and I'm rather skeptical. Anyone ever tried this?

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Try the cheap *** bungy cord steering damper, seriously. One on each side of the handlebar clamp and attached to the frame below the triple clamp. You'll know when they are too tight. Works suprisingly well for such a cheap idea.

Click here to read the full thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trail Blazer
Hey Zip, I'd love to see some pics and videos.

Well I'm starting to see its not all me. I've only owned my KLX for a couple months and this was my first real off-road trek. But I'm really beginning to bond with my bike. There's things I want to change and I have read about the free mods. So far only thing I did was change the rear tire. But I can see now from all comments its not going to be an ideal sand machine no matter what mods I do.

Yep, I'm with you on the speed thing. I mean how in the heck am I suppose to feel confident giving it some throttle and picking up speed when I'm so out of control and unsteady? I did try because as others have stated, that's the trick. I even watched a YouTube video of how to ride in sand and those were the tips that were mentioned. But I totally sucked and resorted to doing exactly what you did, slow way down and waddle.

Wow, I wouldn't even attempt that sand hill. I'd probably turn around and go back the way I came! That's amazing and you have the same bike as I do?

Hey zippets, If you wouldn't mind I would like to talk. You're not far from me at all. I'm all for learning some tips and techniques. I need to get my bike setup like yours is. I'm going take a wild guess though, I'm betting I'm at least 15 - 20 years your senior. That may play a part in my off-road skills but I'm hoping it doesn't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svacr...ature=youtu.be
i am 50 years old here is some nice soft sand

Last edited by zippets; 06-05-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trail Blazer
Well I've been doing some research on a new front tire and I'm a little bit unsure what to go with, so many opinions and comments it made my head spin.

However, while looking through the forum here researching front tires, I found this interesting post on how to help with stability when riding in sand. I have to say I've never heard of doing this and I'm rather skeptical. Anyone ever tried this?

Click here to read the full thread

prilley scorpion pro i believe it is that is what my dual sport club uses

Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Be careful on selecting that Scorpion. I saw 2 or 3 different Scorpions, all of them DOT. The one I got ripped off every other side **** in about 1000 miles. This was the front tire. I tried this tire due to good reviews. Just make sure you get the one that everyone is having success with.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey TNC, I've noticed too that there are several different models of Scorpion Pro's. Can you tell me which one exactly it is that everyone is having success with?

Originally Posted by zippets
i am 50 years old here is some nice soft sand
I'm not much older, I'm 52. Yeah that's definitely some soft sand and it looks like you handled it just fine, like it was a breeze. I'm quite amazed by how effortlessly it seems you were able to navigate through those technical, sandy, tight trails with trees inches from you on either side. I'd like to know, what front tire do you have on your bike?

Quick Reply: A little Story: My First Off-Road Adventure (not what I expected)