A little Story: My First Off-Road Adventure (not what I expected)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A little Story: My First Off-Road Adventure (not what I expected)

So it was Memorial Day weekend. My brother, his wife and I are headed up to Mio Michigan area. We're all excited, first time at his new cabin!

He has his brand new Polaris loaded in the bed of his Ford pickup, he's towing his 18' boat he just got (used but practically stole it for the price he paid) and I'm in my car towing my 09 KLX 250 I recently got.

We left Thursday morning to beat the rush and other than the tarp he had over his Polaris blowing off and almost landing on my windshield at 70 mph on I-75 , we arrived safely.

We got unpacked and had some lunch. It was a nice day although a little on the chilly side. But it didn't matter, its just beautiful being up north. After lunch a couple my brother knows who has a place close by came over. Well it wasn't long before us guys decided to take to the trails for a little off-road fun. This was good because the guy knows the trails up there pretty well, its all new to my brother and I, so I felt confident we wouldn't get lost.

Prior to the weekend I got a new rear tire. It kind of looked like the prior owner did a lot of pavement riding as the stocker was quite wore down. So I got new Kenda K760 mounted up and figured I was all set for off-road riding. Well we weren't out on the trails for more than 15 minutes before I encountered deep sand and yep, down I went.

I wasn't hurt except for my pride and the bike didn't sustain any damage. So I stood her up and got right back in the saddle. But despite my new tire I had a heck of a time trying to control my bike. I tried giving it some throttle and standing up on the pegs but I was all over the place and was constantly fighting the bike in the deep loose sand.

I had a few more close calls and finally decided this wasn't getting it. For about the next mile or so I resorted to feet off the pegs, sitting on the seat and riding in first gear going slow, and still fighting. I wasn't riding the bike, the bike was riding me.

We came up to a hub of some sort and the guy who came riding with us (also on a Polaris quad) asked me if I wanted to continue. He could obviously see I was having a difficult time navigating my bike on the sandy trails. He said if I went up this road I could get back to M-33, the main road in Mio. I didn't want to ruin their fun so I told them to go on without me and I'd see them back at the cabin.

Well, on my way back I went by a sign on M-33 that said snowmobile trail crossing 300 ft ahead. I slowed down and decided to check it out. Wow what a difference! Nice wide groomed trails and although there was sand, it was more packed down and not a problem. I also checked out some dirt roads through the woods and rode through some Huron State Park areas. I was having fun as these areas were much more rider friendly and I was truly enjoying riding my KLX 250 off-road now, but I was by myself.

So I now have a dilemma. I was thinking about it on the way home. Why was I having such a hard time riding on the loose sandy trails? I tried letting some air out of my tires and trying it again, but still, the front wheel wants to go where ever it wants and its just not fun. And something else I was thinking; when I took a spill it was at low speed and I didn't get hurt. But what if I'm on some good hard packed terrain doing about 30 - 40 mph and all of a sudden encounter deep sand? I'm probably going to wipe out again and be just my luck I hit a tree or something and really get messed up. I don't want to have to fear encountering a sandy patch when I'm riding on the trails.

At this point it seems I should stick to dirt roads and wider, better groomed trails. But that kind of leaves my brother out of the picture since you mostly have to ride on the street to get to them, and obviously his quad isn't street legal. I want to go riding with him and go where ever he goes. I never imagined I'd have such difficulty dealing with off-road conditions and to be honest, I thought he'd be in my dust. But I really sucked when I hit the sand. They were the ones waiting for me.

I did see plenty of motocross bikes on trailers heading up north. I'm sure they must encounter sand like I did. Do I need a motocross style bike for riding in sand? Is the KLX just not meant for the sand? Maybe I need four wheels? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Below are some pics from Memorial Day weekend. I mean I still had a good time and it was a lot of fun when I was riding on firmer ground. I'm just disappointed by the problems I encountered riding in sand and not sure what to do at this point. Hoping you guys can give me some suggestions.

Name:  IMG00307_zps032ce4b5.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  132.3 KB

Name:  IMG00312_zpse7ddf3ac.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  IMG00313_zpseba6f6f6.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  196.0 KB

Name:  IMG00310_zpsf7398408.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  64.8 KB

Last edited by Trail Blazer; 06-05-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I sit as far back on the seat to give the rear tire some weight to get traction. Also when I am in deep sand I always stay a gear Higher than normal. Riding slow will make you gown down and it is a lot more exhausting. This seems to work for me. I also have a quad and it is a lot of fun in the sand. By the way, quads are allowed on the streets in Idaho. You are restricted to non-highway and no passengers.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Is that front tire in the pic your current one? It is not knobby enough. No wonder you washed out. I race in the desert with a D606 front tire that is much knobbier.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem, I was like, if there is sand over 5" deep I was not going there over 5mph, as the sand would grab the front wheel and auger the whole bike in.
My fixes....
ProMo front shock redue with proper (stiffer) springs will really change the way the bike handles in sand. This was the biggest game changer, all the other items helped, but this solved the issue!
Use large tires running reduced air pressure helps.
Sit on the rear of the seat as much as possible to unload the front.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, that's exactly what is happening, the sand grabs the front wheel and it pretty much goes where it wants. Sudden jerks and then it lets loose, then grabs again. The handlebars jerk one way and then the other way and I'm pretty much just along for the ride no matter how hard I fight. At any kind of speed its down right scary. And yeah if I'm cruising along a dirt trail or flying through the woods and all of a sudden encounter sand, I'm pretty sure I know what the outcome is going to be.

So proper (stiffer) front springs huh? Doesn't sound like a cheap or easy fix

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Is that front tire in the pic your current one? It is not knobby enough. No wonder you washed out. I race in the desert with a D606 front tire that is much knobbier.
Yes that's the stock front tire. it wasn't worn down nearly as much as the rear tire, which is why its still on the bike. A front tire change to a knobby is going to make a noticeable difference in sand?

Last edited by Trail Blazer; 06-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

deep sand just sucks on any bike. I backed off my rear spring a little to lower the rear and rake out the front. It helped a little. I only weight 155#s though, so I didn't miss the preload.
marc

Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

IIRC, new springs on the front are only around $100 and are actually a fairly easy replacement. What do you weigh? Springs on this bike are for a rider around 155 lbs.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I spend time in sand pits as often as I can, mostly to try and get over my fear of the sand.
It's worked pretty well, I might even say I'm comfortable in the sand now.
Staying back on the bike and lower air pressure, like others have said is key, I've also found it much easier to stand and grip the bike with my knees(I always stand off-road actually). Standing lets the bike move around under you and you can more easily counterbalance the bike with your body.
You need a new knobbie up front for sure. And some speed really helps. Going slow in the sand is hard.
And sometimes it just sucks in the sand.
Looks like great riding there! Just go back and practice. You'll get it.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Trail Blazer you have a few problems here... I ride this area alot, as I have a cabin about 15 miles west of where you were at.

Absolutely first you have to get a legitimate knobby tire on the front ! I run K760's front and rear, the front K760 is not that good but, good enough.

Second your riding the wrong trails. Your riding the ATV trails in that area and they suck on bikes the ruts are so deep and the sand is always so damn tore up and loose it's never fun on a bike.

Third bikes and ATV's don't work well together. It's no fun trying to ride together, you either get a quad or your brother gets a bike.

I've did all this for for 25 years in that area and these three rules are as good as gold.

The beauty of these bikes are the street legal part you will have to seek out 2 tracks and less used trails which means you have to go west of Mio. Once you get out of the Mio ATV trails you will be amazed at how much fun it is. But you will have to be street legal, which leaves your brother out.
There's 1000's of miles of grassy two track and single track moto trails that are great on bikes but hence no ATV's allowed.
Check this club out and download there maps they have alot of Michigan mapped out and there trails are all alot of fun to ride. I ride with the group two or three times a year. Actually I rode with them in Frederic, Memorial Weekend.
Trail Blazer it's not really you, or the bike it's more the super loose sand in that area. You will certainly get better riding it the more you do it. But It will always be hard on those ATV trails.

Great Lakes Dual Sporters

Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Beardoge, wow you're not far from my brother's place at all. Nice to meet you! And thanks for the suggestions and the three rules.

OK so a new knobby for the front is first on my agenda. I guess it cant hurt and the stocker is showing some wear. But no doubt about it, riding in that deep loose sand with all the ruts was no fun.

I have considered getting a quad but I don't want to sell my bike. As you said the beauty of this bike is the fact its street legal and I discovered that when I went exploring on my own. I mentioned I went into designated State Park areas and several times I encountered signs stating no ATV or dirt bikes. But I'm on a street legal motorcycle and I'm allowed where ever cars can go, so I figured that doesn't apply to me and I rode right in.

But yeah while I still am hopeful we can find some common ground for my brother and I to go riding, I did start to think that maybe I should get myself a quad. I mean I did mention to him that we can always load his Polaris up in the bed of his truck and I can load my KLX on the trailer and we could go find other trails that are more motorcycle friendly. But that's just not always going to be practical.

The thing is I just spent $3k for my bike. Spent another few hundred on plates and insurance and ORV sticker. I bought a helmet and a used trailer. I was all set, or so I thought. But you make some valid points, no doubt about it. I discovered what you're saying first-hand.

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
IIRC, new springs on the front are only around $100 and are actually a fairly easy replacement. What do you weigh? Springs on this bike are for a rider around 155 lbs.
Well, I'm a tad over 155lbs. Last time I checked I tipped the scales @ 225 lbs. Maybe I need both new front and rear springs.

Quick Reply: A little Story: My First Off-Road Adventure (not what I expected)