Little SF ride story

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Little SF ride story

I live on a small gulf island in BC Canada. We have some nice twisty roads with lot's of elevation change, off camber turns, hairpins etc, my daily commute.
My trip home after work the other day was like any other, I run off of the ferry, hop on my bike and take off before the cagers unload and clog up the roads.
On this particular day another local chap was on the boat with his 78 "Police Special" Harley. I've seen this fella around, he has several bikes, a BMW Boxer cup, a 68 Police special and the 78. I'm not very well versed in HD's or tuning the big twins but this bike obviously has a bigger motor, worked suspension etc.
Anyway..
I'm first off the boat as usual, with high(ish) speed limits and an empty road I tend to Rage Hard Into The Bendies. Not saying I scrape pegs every day but my 150 rear tire does not have any chicken strips. Doing my thing, having some fun and I see sparks flying in my rear-view mirror??. Quick shoulder check and I see the guy on the HD riding his heart out trying to stay with me. "Cool Beans" I think to myself and turn up the wick a little. The remainder on the 22km ride home was me and the HD playing follow the leader, having a great time.
Ran into the same guy on the boat this morning, we introduced ourselves and got to talking bikes. Fella is 68 years young, rides every day and can still throw a big twin around like a pro. Funny thing was he absolutely refused to believe my bike was a 250. He said he's had every bike under the sun and no way on earth a 4 stroke 250 can be that fast.
Not sure what the point of this story is, or if there is a point. Just one of the thing's I love about riding, feeling somehow connected to all my brothers and sisters that live the 2 wheeled life.

Keep the shiny side up folks.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Rage, what is your mod combo ?

You need the full exhaust + lidless combo for a screaming 7k-10.5k powerband - to do your raging with..lol

Old 10-14-2018, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

De-smogged
lidless, K&N, backfire screen removed
TBR slipon with stock header
#152 kehin main
N1-tc on 1st notch
#40 pilot
Paray programmable ignition
15-39 gearing.

Over the winter im doing the chineese 300cc jug and either a power or mega bomb.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Ohw yeah - try this for a "new bike" in the 7k-10.5k rpm range..

Get the P or M bomb now, along with a K158.. Put em in.. Be sure you are using a stock slide spring as that N1TC is very short and aggressive (rich at higher slide positions) and needs to be "muzzled" at lower RPM's.. Once M/P bomb'd and running a K158, the stock needle works very well also - perhaps better than the N1TC !

Once 'bomb'd + K158 you can try this curve - This is the final curve I ended up with from reducing the data on over 40 runs - it did measure an overall increase in acceleration (3rd gear 4k-10.5k rpm @ WOT) . If you want to tweak this curve, know that the area to work on would be 8k-10k - the accel increase over stock was not as large in that area as it was in the other ranges...

Last edited by Klxster; 10-14-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Wish I had the stock needle to play with but my bike came with the N1TC.
As I recall we were pretty close on our ignition maps, this is the last screenshot I posted.

I'm thinking the 40 deg advance in the low end seemed to work best for me as I'm a bit rich on the transition to the needle.
I only ever change 1 thing at a time so I will be running the new header before I put the new jug in. I'm going to have the base of the 300cc jug machined a bit to increase compression and slightly retard the cam timing. That will be a complete unknown so Ill get properly setup on the new header first.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep yep yep.... The P or B bomb header will change the fueling requirements (and power output) significantly in the upper 1/2 RPM range, from what you have now with the stock header - but unfortunately, it will also lessen the fueling requirement in the lower 1/2 - making that N1TC more of a problem... Perhaps the 300 will like the N1TC better...

If only you could make that N1TC longer..