little help with slight stutter

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Question little help with slight stutter

noticed a slight consistent stutter only on light throttle twist...almost like a consistent intermittent power and loss of power when i'm cruising like 5 to 10 mph along a parking lot on 1st gear....

no problems at high speeds and higher rpm range...80 mph along the freeway is smooth and fine...i only feel it at the slow constant speed/throttle...

i'll be checking all the fuel lines and all the various fuel filters throughout the bike this weekend....might as well just replace them to be safe....please let me know if you have any suggestions on other things to check....

this bike is never parked longer than few days...it's usually my daily commute bike...always fresh gas from daily riding....fill up every 2 days...valve adjustments and new shims were replaced little over 4,000 miles ago, so i'll probably do a valve check also....

Last edited by ahnh666; 04-04-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Might be the idle jet slightly dirty or it might be the ignition isn't quite even. There's a mod that adds a better ground to the regulator that supposedly fixes a stutter/surging issue some KLX250s have at revs, I don't know if that would help you. I'd probably just throw some injector cleaner in a tank of premium fuel and take it out for a good run.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member

ahnh
You ride the hell out of that bike. When's the last time you changed the plug? IIRC, you checked valves recently, correct?

Old 04-05-2013, 02:03 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
ahnh
You ride the hell out of that bike. When's the last time you changed the plug? IIRC, you checked valves recently, correct?
Scott, I really wonder how hard these bikes are on the plug. I pulled the Iridium out of mine last weekend while checking valves, and it was still a perfect gap with no pitting or irregularities. And that's getting close to 4 years. I just put it back in.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you think it's the jetting setup? The reason I ask is we're at the same elevation and have similar setups (although I have a stock header) but our jetting is different. I'm running a 128, 3rd clip and 2 3/4 turns out. I don't have any stuttering at low speeds.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Your needle is on 2nd clip down right? Thats a leaner setting than 3rd clip,but you running a bigger main than most. At low throttle your needle is where you tune. If you feel jetting at wot is right,(the 132 is not too rich), then I would try going to clip 1 on the needle (which would be leaner at low throttle). If this doesn't help then go to 3rd clip. You should see improvement one way or the other,but I would guess your rich at low throttle due to big main.
good luck
marc

Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Does the chain have any tight spots in it when you roll the wheel. If some of the links are binding that could definitely produce the symptom you are describing.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

gabauto takes the prize!...valve checked and within spec and fuel filters are clean...had the bike lifted and started to lube each chain link one by one...found one link nearly falling apart and crooked...was barely moving....probably caused the sprockets to get worn down...time to order sprockets and chain....

Old 04-06-2013, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
gabauto takes the prize!...valve checked and within spec and fuel filters are clean...had the bike lifted and started to lube each chain link one by one...found one link nearly falling apart and crooked...was barely moving....probably caused the sprockets to get worn down...time to order sprockets and chain....
Good find. That would have been a nasty fail at 85 mph!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

that was a bad move on my part, but i commute freeway and california drivers go fast...need to keep up with the flow...bike will be parked until chain and sprockets are replaced...there was a link about a website that sells chain and sprocket sets...anybody have the link?...

Quick Reply: little help with slight stutter