The little green machine don't swim

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default The little green machine don't swim

Went out with Tony Saturday. While at the wash out at index, we decided to ride past the sign that said "Road closed, Road impassible" While driving up a piece of road sticking out of the water, I fell off the road into the river. The bike landed on me, and was completely submerged while running. Luckily the bike didn't pin me. Tony came over and helped me pull the bike out of the river. I had no idea how to get it started after that, but thankfully Tony did. After a bit of tinkering with it, we got it started. Due to the crankcase mod, my oil filled with water. Ended up riding the bike roughly 60miles with milky oil back to Everett. Today, Sunday, I changed the oil 7 times, cleaned the air filter, cleaned out my air box, and re-attached my rear blinker. It was an awesome ride! Thanks Tony for all the help!!!! Here are some pics that I took.

This is my busted up KLX

This is Tony taking a picture of the busted up KLX, and his bike in the background.

This is Tony's bike

Water even got inside my headlight

Old 04-02-2007, 04:49 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: The little green machine don't swim

Damn, that looks like a river, not a road. Bummer about the submersion, but glad you had help getting it sorted out. How long did it take to get it back up and running?

Old 04-02-2007, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Tony knew what he was doing, so I thinkit only took 30-45min to get it started. I spent 10 hours today fixing the bugs, like milky oil, gunked up air box, and broken blinker.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Check the very last Q/A:

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/qanda.asp?curpage=69

Good luck with it.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Any one know if I should check anything else before heavy riding?

Old 04-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Gomerpile, yea Tony knows a thing or two about getting a bike started after going under water. Hey is that the road up to Reiter? That is amazing.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, thats the road a little past Reider pit. It would be fun to try it again when the water level lowers a bit.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member

A. Bryan, I am sure if you place the hair dryer up to your ear it will blow handily out the other side. It’s a motorcycle not a submarine. If it was completely submerged drain the gas tank, pull the spark plug cap, drain the float bowl, remove the ignition cover, and check the air box and boot. The air filter should receive special attention, remove it and check for imbedded sand that may have been sucked deep into the filter during drowning (this can pass through and later cause your throttle to stick). Discard the filter if you suspect this, because the filters are cheap, motors and bones are expensive. Lube the clutch cable especially if it enters the case like a Honda CR. Now run the bike and continue to change the oil until the oil no longer appears milky. You have been stupid, soak your head not your bike.
Thats funny!! yeah, I did soak my head a bit in the process. and froze my *** off on the ride home.