Lite-Touring on KLX250...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I know this may seen obvious, but....A few new cotter pins for after your flat fix. One of my favorite just in case tools is a small pair of needle nose vise-grips. Not a very good shift lever but it will work as one.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey there friend,

I just finished a 3 day, 661 mile ride, with 1/3 of that on single track and two track trails. The things I learned from my ride are as follows.

* If you are going to ride mostly street, go back to the 14T sprocket in the front. I was pushing my 09 too hard (63-69mph) for long periods of time. If I were to do it again (which I will), I would try to keep the rpms around 7K.

* Plan on carrying a small 1 gallon fuel can with you. It can give you and extra 40 miles if needed.

* Distribute your packed items weight evenly and try to keep it low. The lower the better for you.

* Install a cruise control. You can pick up a Vista Cruise for under $20. I also used a throttle rocker in addition to the cruise control. They really help give your hands a break.

* My GPS is a godsend. Not only to tell me where the heck I am, but to forewarn me of what the road is like in front of me, Especially in the dark.
If possible, try to hardwire it to the bike.

* Just as important as the GPS, auxillary lights came in handy when you are in an area full of critters that want to jump out (or pull out) in front of you to test your reactions skills.

* Bring a good camera. It was invaluable for remembering the good times.

* If you don't have one, get a rear rack. They are worth their weight in gold.

As for my exhaust, I am running a full Muzzy. It was a bit on the loud side at times, but if you can ride with ear plugs, it will not bother you. The seat is a butt crusher, but after the 3rd day, I seemed to get used to it and it did not bother me so much. I hope I was able to help you out. Enjoy your trip and don't forget to post pics when you return.

Last edited by mee2yoo; 06-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by mee2yoo

* If you don't have one, get a rear rack. They are worth their weight in gold.

I'm new here, just bought a 09 KLK250SF

what rear mounts fit that bike?

also

I would vote the seat is thumbs down. I have had several DP bikes, but this one really shows its dirt heritage in the seat.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the nomadic rack, and from photos posted here i can tell that the Dirt Bagz will fit.
I will buy them when i get a little more cash. I went to Walmart on line and bought the ATV seat cover and it fits perfectly with the rack. I have also looked at "Sweet Cheeks" but havent gotten it yet to try. Sweet Cheeks here: http://www.cycle-analyst.com/sizes.htm
Hopefully next summer i will be able to take some time and get my adventure underway.
Right now i am lurking and learning from others as to what i need and what is extra. Search on TomN, as he did an adventure for a week i think when he got his KLX250s. He posted a lot of good info as well.
Good luck with it.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I got the Nomadic Rack, wolfman enduro saddlebags + the matching enduro duffle. I think with a camelbak on plus another compression stuff sack stapped on you could do ok for a minimalist camping trip. I will be trying it out this June. Here is a test run picture.

Note - I didn't take the picture for the purposes of showing off my pack set up so it isn't that clear. I have a rotopax 1 gallon fuel can strapped to the rack. If I were doing the full trip, I'd have my sleeping bag in a compression sack on top.