Lite-Touring on KLX250...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

For a 1000 to 2000 mile trip I would "go easy" on the pipe.
Unless you want to fill one saddle bag full on Advil

Have a great trip!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

as far as the bike, dunlop 606's, bigger gas tank definally helps, definally switch back to the 14 tooth.

as far as packing, remember less is more. i am leaving for a 4 day trip very soon and i have my stuff down to 1 back pack (tent and sleeping bag basicly, ~15 lbs), my faney pack (tools, few lbs, dont ride dirt without it), my tank bag (for misc. stuff, wallet, cell phone, smoke), and some tust atv tank panners i use on multi day trips with a main camp ground (food, and some tools, to keep weight off my back for 250 miles).

one thing to definally remember for longer trips is this IS a 250. dont plan on being speed racer, dont over pack or pack things that will catch a lot of wind (trust me on this one, doing 40mph cus you cant go any faster in 40 mph wind packed up sucks, especially in the rain).

one last tip is dont ride alone. altleast as much as you can help it. i have done my fair shair of riding alone, including a 330+ mile day to ocotillo wells and back, but im so scared to eat it, its just not fun. group rides i feel like i can lest lose a bit cus there not going to just laugh at you and leave you there (and if a dualsporter ever did, i hope karma was a bitch).

last but not least, have fun, lots and lots of dusty, muddy, joy filled fun.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I noticed corbin doesnt make seats for the KLX 250s! Anyone know where else to get a good touring seat for the KLX, I find it destroys my back compared to my old KLR.

Other than that I would just get a taller front sprocket.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ive herd threw some people that corbin sucks, flater with even stiffer foam (if thats what you want. personaly, when that time comes for me, ill just ad an extra layer of foam and recover it, done.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Durden, you might try a ATV seat cover from Walmart. It's not a perfect solution, but for $17.00 it's a great improvement. Not all Walmarts carry them though.

My son has some personal experience with the poor quality of a Corbin seat that he bought, then sold, for his DR650. He ended up with a Renazco which he really likes. Problem there is that you have to send them your seat, and also they have a 3 month wait right now.

Norm

Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Bring an extra master link with you...found that one out the hard way!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, my firiend bought a flat corbin for his KLR and it sucked, but there are good dished seats from corbin that are suppose to rock. I'll look for a good cover, I just really want to make the seat a bit wider.

Im only 175 so im not wide, but with such big ***** I need something a little better setup for touring

Thanks for the tips.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durden
Thanks, my firiend bought a flat corbin for his KLR and it sucked, but there are good dished seats from corbin that are suppose to rock. I'll look for a good cover, I just really want to make the seat a bit wider.

Im only 175 so im not wide, but with such big ***** I need something a little better setup for touring

Thanks for the tips.
Yeah, that's kind of what Renazco does, but you don't notice the increased width much because they do such a nice job of shaping the foam along the entire length...keeping the over-all dual sport shape and functions intact... not some dished-out, owl but shaped cruizer style thing like Corbin puts-out. I can honestly tell you my Renazco is the best seat I've ridden-on, but they're not cheap.

Renazco also adjusts each seat's foam compression in all the key areas according to the customer's weight. I'm positive Corbin doesn't do that.

Careful with just going softer, because that was problem with the 08/07 stock seat. The foam is so soft and deep that the portion underneath your crotch would climb right-up 'in there' causing almost extreme discomfort after about the first 50miles OR LESS of slab time!

Last edited by tremor38; 06-03-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

personally, i think the 09 is about as good as its going to get stock, ive done 330 mile slab days and 170 mile dirt days, twice, back to back (more like out and back), never once complained about the seat. the back pack i had though was a diffrent story.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
personally, i think the 09 is about as good as its going to get stock, ive done 330 mile slab days and 170 mile dirt days, twice, back to back (more like out and back), never once complained about the seat. the back pack i had though was a diffrent story.
That's really a subjective thing though because everybody has a slightly different physical make-up. I had an aftermarket Japanese seat for my 06 that was very comparable to the 09 seat and although it was more comfy than stock, I thought it was a bit harsh on the bumps.

The Renazco was a big improvement to me, but, hey that's why we're all made a bit different. If you took a survey of all 09 riders, I'd bet you'd find quite a few that don't agree with your 'as good as it's going to get' statement for the stock 09 seat.

Quick Reply: Lite-Touring on KLX250...advice?