Lite-Touring on KLX250...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Lite-Touring on KLX250...advice?

Ok So I'm planning on a 1000-2000miles trip on my 2006 KLX250S.

Current mods are -1 on the front sprocket, a rejet and lid removed.

To prepare for the long trip I KNOW I need:
-tires meant for the road that wear well but can go in the dirt without killing me(suggestions ?)
-I need to do something about that seat, a cover? or sohuld I get a custom one made?
-Bigger gas tank, I have a few ideas here.
-dirtbags or some other kind of luggage(suggestions?)

On the MAYBE list:
-go from the 13 tooth fron sprocket to a 14(or change the gearing even more for the highway?)
-Get a nice exhaust(for my amusement)
- Some kind of windshield?
-Sometihng to hold maps on the move or maybe a good INEXPENSIVE, GPS that I can use to avoid interstates and have earphones to hear directions.

..and if the electrics can support it..heated gloves or something?

Did I miss anything? Am I trying to hard?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd keep the exhaust stock (quiet) for an extended journey, your ears will thank you. Long duration loud sounds (highway riding for hours with loud exhaust&tires) are what hurt hearing the most. Plus its a tour, not a trail blast day ride with buddies, so outright performance shouldn't be top priority. Unless your bike doesn't have the ***** to maintain the highway speed that you want?... if you're even plannning on being on the highway at all..??

For a tour, I think:
survival first (tools, camping gear, GPS, knowledge)
comfort second (seat, decibels, tires, maybe heated grips (where are you going?) performance third.

Its about the journey, not the destination!!

have fun, keep us informed.
~Steve

Old 04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I think you would like the Kenda K270 tires for this trip and they are OK on a lot of back woods stuff, not mud but not bad everywhere else. I have a Garmin E-Trex and it works great, handlebar mount. If you plan right you could avoid running short of gas, but if it were me I would still carry a couple of the larger MSR bottles. Saddle bags are great, but I just strapped on a large duffle bag on mine for my trip last summer. It worked great. First Aid kit for sure, lots of tools, extra tube for the front that can be used in the rear in a pinch........get it pinch...see what I did there? Sorry the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

A gun if are licensed to carry, that's just me. Fuses, bulbs, Tank bag holds all of the small stuff really nice. You always over plan, over pack and have way more fun that you planned on having. Oh and take an extra pair of gloves.

Oh and most important.....TOILET PAPER!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

got any pics of your duffle bag rig?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

As for the riding its honestly going to be on mostly pavement40-60mph

The pipe might help... I like the idea of the FMF head pipe...how quiet can you make the muffler on it though?

As for sound on the highway......Ive driven my drag car 18 hours before...its no the loudest thing, but is it a straight through muffler dumped under the car...its a drone monster..lol

Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Lot's of ideas here, but just a few... Zip-ties, a few straps w\ velcro or? just to tighten up you load. My wife and I toured on bicycles for a year in Europe, and one thing I really learned is that you just don't need as much as you think you will. Are you going to camp? Maybe a disc lock. CamelBack? Wipe down your clean bike w/ silicone (I use the Motorex stuff) and it will make it easy to clean ,if....? A little strap on headlight for ? How long will this trip be? Sounds fun. Later!!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a disc lock. I have a camel back. This trip would be less thana week, not sure if I'd camp with a tent, improvised shelter or a hotel yet...

Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Just a little light reading. As you will see I packed heavy. But we had a blast!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378743

Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd vote for tent camping. Really get the "adventure" feel. (saves alot of $$ too) Maybe 3 days camping, then a hotel to do some wash or have a relaxing night out if your journey takes you anywhere near a town center.

I second a headlamp if you do go the camping route. It's great to have both hands free when setting up in the dark.

~Steve
oh yeah.. Esbit stove + metal cup + coffee filters + fresh fine ground coffee = the best moment on any camping trip --> MORNING COFFEE!

Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I bet you could get an ultralight sleeping bag and a hammock for what you'd spend on a couple hotels... then you'd have the gear for your next trip if you go the "tent" route. That's my plan for when I finally do a ADV tour.

Quick Reply: Lite-Touring on KLX250...advice?