Like the KLX engine, but not the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Like the KLX engine, but not the frame?

Found this thread on the interwebs, big project but interesting. It's in Japanese, just look at the pics. Link to page 2 at the bottom.

KLX engine, CRF450 frame
http://www.geocities.jp/back_yard_bu...klx300crf1.htm

Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

That's pretty cool. But if you looked carefully at the steps in those pics, there was some heavy fabrication going on there. I love how you see occasional threads just suggesting that you can put this engine in that frame and be a happy camper. I guess because we put different car engines in other brands/types of vehicles, people think it's just as easy to do it with a motorcycle. It ain't. Space and design constraints are massive on most motorcycle projects. Someone did some nice work on this one.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

this is awesome...kawi power, honda frame, & yama color...hahaha no suz love

Old 09-19-2010, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Good way to ruin a CRF.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Good way to ruin a CRF.
Heresy...bite your tongue!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Heresy...bite your tongue!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

The whole project begs the question....why? Call me old fashioned but I've never understood the whole frankencar/bike idea.

For me it's purely math. Why take 20K worth of parts/resources/time and come up with something all but worthless, except as an exercise to prove it can be done?

Lets start with a 15 year old Honda Civic. Lower it, put 16 inch rims, neon package, 5K stereo and some buzzy aftermarket pipes. Then move to LA, where you fit right in. Better yet take a '73 Pinto, shoehorn a 351 Cleveland into the engine bay and pretend you have a sleeper. Same result, you have something worth pennies on the dollar.

Look, we all mod our bikes to varying degrees, mostly to make them more useable for our particular purpose, knowing full well that come resale time most buyers want a stock machine. It's a rare buyer that will know what a 351 kit will do or be interested in suspension upgrades. Still we do the mods, but not to the level that eliminates the bikes basic architecture.

Stuffing a KLX engine into a CRF frame just seems so wrong on so many levels.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:15 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
The whole project begs the question....why? Call me old fashioned but I've never understood the whole frankencar/bike idea.

For me it's purely math. Why take 20K worth of parts/resources/time and come up with something all but worthless, except as an exercise to prove it can be done?

Lets start with a 15 year old Honda Civic. Lower it, put 16 inch rims, neon package, 5K stereo and some buzzy aftermarket pipes. Then move to LA, where you fit right in. Better yet take a '73 Pinto, shoehorn a 351 Cleveland into the engine bay and pretend you have a sleeper. Same result, you have something worth pennies on the dollar.

Look, we all mod our bikes to varying degrees, mostly to make them more useable for our particular purpose, knowing full well that come resale time most buyers want a stock machine. It's a rare buyer that will know what a 351 kit will do or be interested in suspension upgrades. Still we do the mods, but not to the level that eliminates the bikes basic architecture.

Stuffing a KLX engine into a CRF frame just seems so wrong on so many levels.
Gotta agree for the most part. I remember seeing a few projects a bit like this in the 70's and 80's when there were hardly any quality framed 4-strokes. I remember lusting after a mid-80's XR250R engine in a CR125 chassis that I'd seen in a magazine project. Cost, time, and head-scratching on that project were quite high. And I remember Bill Bell winning the the 1975 Baja with an XL350 Honda motor in a custom chassis. Now days, however, we have lots of great 4-stroke bikes to pick from, so any project like that has to be a labor of love and maybe even some obsession...and nothing wrong with that if you have the resources and knowledge.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
...and nothing wrong with that if you have the resources and knowledge.
Yes, if you have the money, time and ability then go for it. I posted this because it involves a KLX (partly), and good quality work. It seems a far better job than some of the other customization I've seen in Japan........ for example.....

Old 09-19-2010, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

here's a conversion gone bad, cr500 in a crf frame:

Name:  broken500afframe.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  92.1 KB

Quick Reply: Like the KLX engine, but not the frame?